Problem with LCD (HD44780) with I2C

• Hello forum members,

I'm very happy with LIBREELEC, but currently, but I have one issue with it, I'm not able to solve.

My HD44780 VFD just shows junk when using LIBREELEC.

I bought a Noritake VFD GU140X32F. It can by used with serial or parallel interface and it's HD44780 compatible. I use it with an level shifter (3.3V-5V) and an converter (i2c - parallel).

It tested the the function of the VFD with an Raspberry 4B and raspbian (current version). It works fine. (small python script to display some text to the lines) So, I assume, the wiring is okay.

Using the current version of LIBREELEC (the stable one, of course) is just displaying some wired characters (blancs, rectangles and some "inverted question marks"). I tried it with the same Raspberry 4B and an ODROID C2. Both show the same output.

Of course, I installed and configured the two addons (LCDproc + XBMC-LCDproc) in LIBREEELC. The I2C-port and the device name are checked.

For my boot.ini (RP4) I added:

dtparam=i2c1=on

My LCDd.conf is:

[server]

DriverPath=/storage/.kodi/addons/http://service.lcdd/lib/lcdproc/

Driver=hd44780

Bind=127.0.0.1

Port=13666

[hd44780]

ConnectionType=i2c

Port=0x27

Device=/dev/i2c-1

Speed=0

Keypad=no

OutputPort=no

Size=20x4

CharMap=hd44780_default

DelayBus=true

KeyMatrix_4_1=Enter

KeyMatrix_4_2=Up

KeyMatrix_4_3=Down

KeyMatrix_4_4=Escape

Has anyone some suggestions to become successful?

Thanks in advance,

Joeker

• I bought a Noritake VFD GU140X32F. It can by used with serial or parallel interface and it's HD44780 compatible. I use it with an level shifter (3.3V-5V) and an converter (i2c - parallel).

Hi. I also have that exact display available from an old project. I would be curious to try to get this working as well. Do you have a link for the I2C to Parallel converter that you are using?