9.2.6 won't boot on Pi 4 (fresh install, frozen on black screen with white _ symbol)

• I also tried every older bootloader all the way down to 2020-04-16 (2019-09-10 doesn't work in the Pi 4 v1.4, I guess the revision is more recent that the bootloader) and still the same result: it always freezes.

• It's really strange. Do you have a customized bootloater config / did you also changed it when replacing bootloader versions? What's your current?

Are you sure the SD card / USB key imaging was done properly?

Also this is strange:

I tried the 10 beta, and it could boot properly. But it's too unstable (I'm getting no wired ethernet, CEC doesn't work reliably, reboot via menu gives a kernel panic...) so it's not a solution I can live with.

I am running LE 10 Nightly builds but never had an issue with wired ethernet nor kernel panic when rebooted from menu.

Didn't you try to overclock your RPi?

If not, I am out of ideas and perhaps there could be really a compatibility issue with RPi 4B v1.4 but I am afraid it won't be ever analyzed in LE 9.2.6. Move to LE 10 Nightly builds and you won't be sorry. Despite there are some issues, in general it works fine and the progress is every day.

Edited once, last by ghtester (May 23, 2021 at 11:12 PM).

• I tried 9.95.3 and it works better indeed. Ethernet worked, CEC as well (some of it, play/pause/skip doesn't work, and other keys I programmed for subtitles don't either).

The main issue for me is that subtitles don't seem to work on 4K content but work fine on other content. That's a deal breaker for us so I'm stuck with 9.2 stable until 10 is released/fixed.

Any guess about when LE10 will be ready? Are we talking weeks, or 6 months, or 1 year?

• I am afraid nobody can tell you the release date of LE 10 stable. AFAIK, RPi 4B has a priority but a lot of things has changed from LE 9.2.6 and it will take some time to finish that hard work. My personal estimate is several months.

• I have upgraded to a Pi 4 today, so I backed up my settings and burned a fresh 9.2.6 Pi 4 SD card. I tried with Balena Etcher and LE's USB tool.

When I boot, I see the rainbow, then it hangs with a black screen and a `_` in the top left corner. Nothing happens then, and the device isn't visible on the network.

I tried `https://releases.libreelec.tv/LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-9.2.{0-5}.img.gz` to get an older image as 9.2.6 seems problematic (it hung often on the Pi 3 as well), but the file doesn't exist.

Where can I get an older Pi 4 image for LE 9.2 that isn't 9.2.6? Tried every 9.1 and 9.2 release, and I either get a message from the EEPROM that I need to update the software (even though I'm running the latest EEPROM, 2021-04-29) or it just does more of the same: black screen with frozen cursor.

Hello,

Did you ever get this fixed?

My old pi with bootloader 2020-09-03 works perfect with 9.2.6

My new pi (rev 1.4) with bootloader 2021-04-29 has the issue you had, white _ in the top left corner. But 10.0.1 works.

I'm trying to figure out how to downgrade the bootloader as I'm hoping that will fix it so I can run 9.2.6.

Thanks,

• Bootloader EEPROM isn't the problem, the firmware on the SD card is. You can try copying start.elf and fixup.dat (on the FAT partition) from an LE10 SD card to the LE9.2 card - this can work but isn't guaranteed.

so long,

Hias