Minux NEO U1 experiments

• can some1 help me distinguish which .DTB is for minix neo ui ?

i tried a bunch and some of them the lan dont work or when it works the audio doesnt and some just make the blue light blinks...

• Official Post

Can some1 help me distinguish which .DTB is for minix neo ui ?

NEO U1 is a GXBB (S905) device and looking at MINIX_NEO_U1_Board_Large.jpg it has Broadcom WiFi/BT and the standard RTL GB Ethernet, so the WeTek Play2 dtb is a close match and a good starting point for creating a proper device-tree. Please boot from LibreELEC-AMLGX.arm-9.95.1-box.img.gz with WP2 dtb set in uEnv.ini and assuming Ethernet worked, run "dmesg | paste" and share the URL generated. You'll need a USB keyboard attached as the predefined IR keymap will be wrong .. but we can fix that easily.

• NEO U1 is a GXBB (S905) device and looking at MINIX_NEO_U1_Board_Large.jpg it has Broadcom WiFi/BT and the standard RTL GB Ethernet, so the WeTek Play2 dtb is a close match and a good starting point for creating a proper device-tree. Please boot from LibreELEC-AMLGX.arm-9.95.1-box.img.gz with WP2 dtb set in uEnv.ini and assuming Ethernet worked, run "dmesg | paste" and share the URL generated. You'll need a USB keyboard attached as the predefined IR keymap will be wrong .. but we can fix that easily.

http://ix.io/2VsH

lan and audio works but aac codec audio doesn't

• Official Post

Can you see if audio works correctly if you set Kodi to "fixed" 44.1Khz output? - I need to do this on WP2 and have a theory there's a difference between S905 and newer S905X/S912 devices that's not handled in the audio driver.

If I have time over the weekend I'll create a proper device-tree for the U1, it also has an RTC chip onborad which should be simple to add. The photo of the board I found MINIX_NEO_U1_Board_Large.jpg shows 3x LEDs but the legacy kernel dtb device-trees-amlogic/gxbb_p200_2G_minix_neo_u1.dts at master · LibreELEC/device-trees-amlogic · GitHub mentions "minix_mcu" so these might not be controllable without a custom MCU driver (which doesn't exist and isn't likely to be written).

• Can you see if audio works correctly if you set Kodi to "fixed" 44.1Khz output? - I need to do this on WP2 and have a theory there's a difference between S905 and newer S905X/S912 devices that's not handled in the audio driver.

If I have time over the weekend I'll create a proper device-tree for the U1, it also has an RTC chip onborad which should be simple to add. The photo of the board I found MINIX_NEO_U1_Board_Large.jpg shows 3x LEDs but the legacy kernel dtb device-trees-amlogic/gxbb_p200_2G_minix_neo_u1.dts at master · LibreELEC/device-trees-amlogic · GitHub mentions "minix_mcu" so these might not be controllable without a custom MCU driver (which doesn't exist and isn't likely to be written).

fixed with 44.1 output audio works but here is the thing kodi/libreelec got very unstable it freeze, sometime the sound got a hissing sound that i had to put to 48k then back to 44.1 for the hissing to stop and i had to reboot it at least 5x because of the freezing . but it works fine when it does work ....

Coreelec have a a dtb gxbb_p200_2G_minix_neo_u1 specific for this box but this dtb wont work with libreelec if that helps with anything

• I've not heard a high-pitched hiss before, but full-range staccato a.k.a "Machine Gun" noise is a known driver problem. I've not seen lockups from this though, so it would be good to capture "journalctl | paste" when that happens to see if there are error messages?

p.s. I'm aware of the older device-tree (original source for CE is an LE repo).

• after testing for 2 weeks some things doesn't work well

1. hevc doesn't play well keeps playing in slow motion

2. it freezes when scanning i have to reboot

3. some of h264 videos i get buffering constantly

all this used to be fine before

• If "used to be fine before" refers to legacy LE/CE images you should probaably stick with them. There is about 1% driver code in-common with the upstream kernel so current LE images with mainline kernels are effectively a complete rewrite. Modern kernels have quite good overall OS support and I can work on creating device-trees and such to enable more boards/boxes to be supported, but the media capabilities are not in good shape. There is no hardware HEVC decoding support, and while the H264 decoder is implemented it needs work, and some major changes in ffmpeg. I don't write code, so I have no ability to fix any of that stuff.