remote access possbile?

• hey guys,

sorry if this has been asked before but is remote access to an external ext4 hdd connected to my rb4 running LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-9.95.1 possible? Could a friend of me access my media library from another network via ftp like i do in my home network? If yes how can I realize it? I have a Fritzbox 7490 and could use the NAS functionality but it is quite disappointing, data transfer rates for example.

thanks and best regards

• Official Post

It is technically possible but a bad idea since LE is not designed for exposing internet-facing services - both from a security and sharing protocols perspective. Don't be a shodan.io statistic!

• Sorry, my opinion is different if the option is that in order not to have security holes then we should not share anything, which is evident. LE is not security oriented but we can try to encapsulate it in reasonably secure VPN networks, and even use internet access services from providers that use CG-NAT which are quite common today. One thing is certain, you must take security very seriously in any matter related to internet communications.

Your question itself has a very long answer that needs knowledge, some simple and others somewhat more complex.

You need, first of all, the setting up of an ftp server on your device (this is easy with the ProFTP-Server addon included in LE), and remote client access, on your friend's device, to the ftp server (this it's also easy with "Kodi share search" in LE). With these two things your friend will have ftp access to your hard drive when you are both on the same WiFi and you both know the IP of the other device.

The most complex part is the connection from the internet. There are many alternatives and all of them must use VPN techniques, I suggest you use Zerotier. You should create a virtual network where, for example, lan could be 10.10.10.0/24 with two devices, 10.10.10.1 the IP of your device, and you should authorize your friend's device with the IP address 10.10.10.2. Once this is done, your friend can now use the ftp client and connect to your ftp server at IP address 10.10.10.1 from anywhere in the world. Obviously it is necessary to install the Zerotier service on your device and on your friend's device. You don't need ddns, or open ports on the router, or anything.

You will have to start studying!