LibreELEC 10 beta and VC-1 in RPI4

• Hi,

just installed LibreELEC 10 beta (9.95.1) on my RPI4 (clean install). HDR and HEVC playback seems to work fine. However, I have a few movies using VC-1 (some interlaced, some not) and a lot of frames are dropped causing severe stuttering (sometimes it seems to drop more than half the frames). I see that decoding is done in SW (ff-vc1-drm_prime (SW)) and one CPU core is constantly utilised 98 - 100%.

Is there anything I can do to make VC-1 files playable on the RPI4? I see some older threads discussing this but I haven't found a solution anywhere. BTW, the same movies play back fine on an Intel NUC using LibreELEC 9.

/SJB

• The best current solution is perhaps to transcode these few movies to HEVC (if it's <= 4K@30 Hz). Or wait until there's a driver improvement regarding to VC-1 decoding.

• Thanks ghester. Have considered transcoding, but since I have several other devices that can play the files just fine I'd rather not do that and instead keep the original quality. Do you know if there are any planned improvements ongoing, or is this a not a priority given the limited use of VC-1?

• I think there are more important tasks to do but perhaps somebody from developer team will comment it better.

Perhaps better decoding of VC-1 in future could be a side effect - AFAIK the video drivers on RPi 4B are not yet finished in general and it's still in progress. But it's hard to say how long it could take.

• For VC1 on old bluray like 3batman" of Burton or "Letthal Weapon" no miracle, overclock the PI.

i found an aluminium case on aliexpress than i can oc to 2.2-2.3 ghz safely (55-60° when playing vc1)