DVD does not work

• Hello,

I recently setup a RaspberryPi with LibreELEC. To play DVDs I attached a DVD-drive via USB and inserted a DVD. But it did not play and seemed not to get recognized at all as the disk category did not show up as it did when I inserted the DVD in my Windows-PC. But the drive gets recognized by the Raspberry as attaching it the /dev/cdrom appears. Attaching the same USB-drive to my Windows-PC the DVD could be played perfectly by VLC.

So I think there is no particular problem with the drive or the DVD itself but more a problem with LibreELEC or Linux in particular as I tried to play the DVD back on an Ubuntu-PC and VLC could not play back the DVD until I installed libdvd-pkg.

So how do I play the DVD on my RaspberryPi?

• [ 3.947420] scsi 0:0:0:0: CD-ROM HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50N RR07 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0

[ 3.951248] sr 0:0:0:0: Power-on or device reset occurred

[ 4.058076] sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0] scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x writer dvd-ram cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

[ 4.058086] cdrom: Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20

[ 4.058464] sr 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0

[ 10.347604] scsi 0:0:0:0: CD-ROM HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50N RR07 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0

[ 10.351160] sr 0:0:0:0: Power-on or device reset occurred

[ 10.462032] sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0] scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x writer dvd-ram cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

[ 10.462519] sr 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0

Good and bad news... The system does recognize the device, but after initialization it is being reset at least 5 times and probably constantly.

You didn't mention what RPi type you exactly have, but perhaps your power adapter is not up to the task of powering all attached devices.

Can you power the CD/DVD drive externally/separately?

• dmesg says it's an RPi3B+

Code
    [    0.000000] OF: fdt: Machine model: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus Rev 1.3

and, yea, the DVD drives needs more power than the RPi can supply

Solution: connect the DVD drive via a powered USB hub (or in the rare case the drive can be powered externally then do that).

so long,

Hias

• Thanks for the advice. The drive has two USB-ports one for data and one for power. As I now power the drive directly from the socket, the DVD gets recognized, but not as a DVD as Kodi did on my PC.

Instead it gives me a menu to select from:

- Browse videos

- Browse Music

- Browse pictures

- Browse files

Even if I select one of the .VOB-files, kodi does not play the respecting part of the DVD.

• I have now tested several other DVDs. Inserting all of them I got the menu mentioned above. But some DVDs actually managed to be played. Those DVDs have no language selecting menu but all other menus were not displayed instead Kodi directly played the main movie.

• As you mentioned that it could be related to encryption I again checked out the settings for disc playback. As I tried to solve my problem I read through other forums and questions. There was a suggestion to set "Forced DVD player region" to the region code of my location. After I removed it the DVDs play back nicely now.