Please build a stable Version on Raspberry Pi 4

• No offence folks. You do make a great job but.

My Problem is the following,

When I startet using Kodi/Libreelec on the Pi 5 Years ago it worked good. But from Version to Version it seems to me that instead of making it stable, more an more unnecessary feature in Kodi will implemented.

If I do wanna use my Pi for Retro-Gaming I have the choice to install Retro-Pi or an other Distro.

I really believe the most people use it to watch Live-TV and Movies/TV-Shows from a NAS.

That is what I do. But in Pi 3 it is awfully slow and on my Pi 4 first Version it always reboot without any reason. I switched back to my Pi 3 now but it is not so great.

I´m not a Linux Nerd or do have Money to Buy a new or better device.

And what's the Problem with Python 2.7? Why get rid of it? I had an Add-On made myself that needs Python 2.7.

I´m very disappointed. The Way Libreelec/Kodi is going since the first Versions on the X-Box is not so good.

Is there someone who can help me made my Version for the Pi4 with old Python?

I do need this to watch TV that streamed from my old Pi (now the Pi4) with TV-Headend.

• No offence folks. You do make a great job but.

Somehow asking for a "stable version", without any specific problem descriptions, does not give us that usual warm fuzzy feeling. Development on the RPi4 is ongoing, mind you. There is an initial test version for HDR decoding available since yesterday.

When I startet using Kodi/Libreelec on the Pi 5 Years ago it worked good.

That's quite a bold statement, since a RPi-5 has yet to be designed & manufactured...

Never mind... :cool:

And what's the Problem with Python 2.7? Why get rid of it?

Guess what: it's EOL and dead. No more fixes. All new addons are now Python-3 bound. Life goes on, and we're not going back.

I´m very disappointed.

Someone always is when things change.

• Somehow asking for a "stable version", without any specific problem descriptions, does not give us that usual warm fuzzy feeling. Development on the RPi4 is ongoing, mind you. There is an initial test version for HDR decoding available since yesterday.

Hi, thx 4 responce.

As I said I do not have anything in the Log files.

You can please explain how I get an error log and where to upload it.

No offence really.

It is very sad with python. I had such a nice Add-On for my display and now no drivers anymore because of the lag of "Adafruit.bbio"
    Video (German)

• You can please explain how I get an error log and where to upload it.

Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link
  • Two things...

1)

Debugging is not enabled in Kodi as requested.

2)

2021-02-07 17:28:06.585 T:2806723440 NOTICE: EPG thread started

2021-02-07 17:28:09.115 T:3012037088 NOTICE: load skin from: /storage/.kodi/addons/skin.aeon.nox.silvo (version: 7.0.9)

2021-02-07 17:28:10.046 T:3012037088 WARNING: Skin has invalid include: skinshortcuts-template-widget1

2021-02-07 17:28:10.046 T:3012037088 WARNING: Skin has invalid include: skinshortcuts-template-widget2

If you can, rename the guisettings.xml to something else, and restart LibreELEC to get a new/fresh version, so Estuary can run. Apparently your Aeon skin has quirks.

• I already answered that here RPi4 Libreelec 9.2.2 Hunds up on loading info (pics) in DB and if I read your last post correctly you confirmed that the nightly build worked better.

The log also shows that you haven't reduced GPU and CMA memory, so the OOM-killer is kicking in because you run out of memory - a well known limitation of 1GB RPi4 on LE 9.2 (just search the forum for more info).

so long,

Hias

I ran in the exact same problem with nightly build.

I changed it....

log

still the same.

I searched online and found a forum entry from dec. 2019 someone mentioned. We know some quirts on memory allocation we working on it.......

Why is this Bug still in Kodi?

Edited once, last by tjost (February 11, 2021 at 11:11 AM).

• Why is this Bug still in Kodi?

Your line of questioning is sometimes rather 'peculiar' to me, just like you did with the thread title...

FYI: there are no 40-60 plus fulltime developers working on RPi-4 with LibreELEC, only a handful at best.

Bugs in software are not always easy to trace / reproduce / fix / retest.

So unless you have those answers yourself, I suggest you refrain from questions like "Why has this not been fixed yet".

People might take such comments the wrong way. LibreELEC is open-source, so anyone with sufficient programming skills can join.

• Do not feel offended. I do know that it is open source and only a few people are in this project.

It is a simple question. So sorry if you feel offended and please consider that it is difficult to understand why bugs like these are not fixed yet.

And of course not anyone is a programer who wants to use these software. And not everyone is capable of buying new hardware.

I used XBMC way back on the original XBOX and it had only 64MB Ram. It worked fine even with nearly the same amount of Movies and Series in my Database. So it is difficult to understand why 1GB is not enough anymore.

Nearly everywhere I read "buy a new Pi with more Ram" I can't.

So I fiddled with the Config and cmdline put in CMA=96 and RAM=96. It still crashes but less then before. But now playback H265 Files it crash

log

After put more Ram in config.txt the system become super slow and lags raise the ram the system boots and worked but no picture.

What are the Values to put in?

Is there hope in the Future?

LibreELEC 10 will swtich to the vc4-kms driver and V4L2 decoders where only a bit of gpu_mem is needed for H264 decoding but a lot of cma memory (curently testing with gpu_mem=76 and cma=256M/512M - 512M cma needed for 4k video playback) so things are going to change quite a bit. If there are issues with cma they'll need to be resolved anyways.

I found this in an older threat. I figured out that with LE10 the CPU usage is quite high on h264 an mpeg.

is there any way I can help?

Again, no offence just simple straight questions.

Edited once, last by tjost (February 11, 2021 at 1:34 PM).