Cannot connect to my Music & Video folders on my NAS

• Hi

I'm using a Raspberry Pi 3 LibreELEC / Kodi image for the first time and I am trying to connect the folders on my NAS up to it.

On my home network, I have an AZBox which is a Linux powered satellite TV decoder and PVR. It has a couple of recordings made directly off the satellite. I also have 2 NAS's that contain the bulk of my music and TV recordings.

In trying to search for sources on the network, the AZBox showed up and "Workgroup" from the NAS's also showed up. When trying to access "Workgroup" I got an error message with the word "success" as the error (!?!)

When doing a scan, the 5 or 5 videos on the AZBox were found, but nothing from the NAS's. I even tried to manually input the location of the folders (e.g. 192.168.0.2/music)

I'm not sure what's going wrong. I was hoping to get to the Root and to edit the FSTAB file to connect the NAS's shared folders natively to the OS's file structure, but I'm not sure how that's done in this image.

If anyone can offer any help then I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Martin

• Go to Best Answer
  • I have a Synology Disk Station DS420+ NAS

I'm not much good with script syntax. I can do "monkey see, monkey do" so if you can be kind enough to advise what to type in where, that would be much appreciated. I know when you are an expert on stuff like this it's easy to think that everyone speaks the same language to the same standard, but this is not only a new language to me, it's a whole different country too. So please go easy on me ;)

• Best Answer
    • Official Post

^ edit /storage/.kodi/userdata/sources.xml to use that format for the sources, it's fairly simple to crib the format. Change username/passsword and the name of the Synology and share names as you need them in each section (video/music/pictures/games/files). Save and reboot or restart Kodi to effect the changes. You cannot "browse" to add shares without downgrading the NAS to SMBv1 (not recommended) but this takes 5 mins effort to setup once and then you're done.

• Thanks for that great reply chewitt. Ahh, XML, a bit closer to what I'm used to, but I'm still no expert.

Just to check then, to make sure that my file structure fits what's needed, am I right in thinking that the following XML will link to the main sources of what I've got stored?

For info, the paths to my files are:

DISKSTATION/music (then usually /artist/album/song.mp3 but also /compilations/year/album/song.mp3)

DISKSTATION/Videos (then either /Title/Season/episode.mp4 OR (as an example) /Star Trek/Discovery/Season/Epiosode.mp4) for my TV Series

DISKSTATION/Videos/Concerts/title.mp4

DISKSTATION/Videos/My Films (then either /title.mp4 OR (as an example) /Star Wars/title.mp4) for my Movies

Am I right in thinking that XML needs %20 to represent a space in the directory name? (the "My Films" case in point)

So would I need to specify every single path or will the system pick up on what's there when it scans? I say that as the Synology Video Station does successfully scan what I have so I'm hoping that Kodi will be just as clever.

• ^ some nesting issues fixed. Yes you need %20 for space, but better would be to change the share name to remove the space (spaces in paths are always a bad idea). I would also organise things so that TV, Movies, Music, Concerts are in different folders. Different media types normally require different scraper settings so if you mix them up .. expect weird scraper issues and false matches. Put movies in Title Folders (one folder per Movie) is usually the best approach, and similar with TV shows, one folder per show, doesn't matter if seasons are in subfolders or all in the same folder.