Strange problem with raspberry pi4 + USB nas + smart plug

• hi,

my current gear set up

- raspberry pi 4 with libreElec 9.2.6

- Ethernet connection with static ip

- on the blue usb port is plugged USB nas with 3 HDD (no mirror, raid or other config.. every disk it is independent)

until now it has always worked with this setup but i don't know when maybe after update libreelec to 9.2.6

when i turn on my USB nas all my smart plug (meross plug and wiz lights) in all my house lost connections to my wifi.

i can play movie like usual on raspberry using USB nas.

My phones , fire stick tv , notebook work as usual connected to wifi.

When i turn off USB nas ( raspberry still on) after 30-50 sec all my plug reconnect to wifi and work as usual.

Any ideas??

Sorry for my english.

THX

• Most likely there is a conflict in the IP address assignment of your home network. Always assign static IP addresses from the router and keep the dhcp assignment mode on devices.

• Most likely there is a conflict in the IP address assignment of your home network. Always assign static IP addresses from the router and keep the dhcp assignment mode on devices

thx

but nothing change. At this point i'll install libreelc from scratch.

• Well, I don't think that Libreelec is a root of your trouble... Instead, it sounds like your USB multi-HDD box (in fact it's probably not a NAS, which means Network Attached Storage) maybe generates some high-frequency noise which may interfere with your WiFi network. I don't know how your device looks like exactly, it might be the external Power Supply of that box... It should have a metal shielding inside, under the plastic cover, but there are some cheap products that don't respect any construction rules... Don't know if it's the case but maybe yes... And it's possible it may change over the time due to parts degradation, especially capacitors... Also a different WiFi devices may have a different sensitivity to a noise or a too low power to overcome it..

Try to move the devices a bit or try to make a temporary shield to your USB box / box power supply using aluminium foil (carefully, I do NOT mean to open the boxes!) and check tf there's any difference.

Edited 2 times, last by ghtester (January 21, 2021 at 6:21 PM).

• hdd box is a Fantec qb-35us3 4 bay

but i try to use my old raspberry pi 2 and install last version of libreelec 9.2.6 same version on pi 4.

and no issue

no words.... but i want to do more tests

• there is a big difference between RP2 and RP4. RP4 supports USB3 (which is very different to USB2). USB3 can interfer with WLAN.

have you tried USB2 connector on RP4?

• thx guys

it was usb 3....

i didn't know Ubs 3 has plroblem with wifi.

I had made some change in my home, router and raspberry + hdd box never been close until now.