SSV6051 wifi driver Amlogic update for WiFi hotspot... RK3229 works.

• Hi All,

Old question since the TV boxes in question are the X96 and MXQ Pro ones with the S905/X/W CPU and the old nasty SSV 6051 WiFi chipset.

I was informed that the SSV6051 driver for the Amlogic CPUs couldn't run a WiFi hotspot, but only act as WiFi station.

Then I read about knaerzche wonderful work to bring LE on RK3229 as well, where the SSV6051 driver update is included by Rockchip to run WiFi hotspot as well. Apparently, that driver can't be ported to Amlogic builds ?

Does anyone have pointers on running SSV6051 WiFi hotspot on these cheap, popular boxes ? ( I bought a few of them !)

:)

• knaerzche is using the Rockchip Linux 4.4 bsp kernel which is too old to pick/forward-port the driver from as there are major crypto changes around Linux 4.12 or 4.12 which will break the driver. Rockchip are working on a rebase of their BSP kernel to Linux 4.19, so there's a chance the driver is reworked as part of that effort. There's also an equal chance they recognise no new boxes will use this obsolete chip and they drop it from the kernel instead of investing time/effort (which costs money) in reworking it. I wouldn't get your hopes up.. I wouldn't spend the money and I doubt RK will either.

• Thanks!

Well I just found out that my lowly x96mini with the ssv6051p wifi chipset running LE 9.2.* in fact can be configured as a WiFi AP- was able to connect a laptop and phone to the x96mini AP and get Internet access through the box Ethernet eth0 port !

So don't know why it didn't work last year....

Also attached a generic $3 RTL USB wifi adapter that showed up as wlan0, which in theory could be connected to the x96mini's own WiFi AP (showed up in the listing) or other APs in the neighborhood.