LibreElec and NVidia / AMD GPU's, current status

• In the last 2.5 years Team Kodi has been slowly and successfully driving the Linux codebase towards common standards (GBM/V4L2) and away from vendor-proprietary interfaces (VDPAU, Amcodec, iMX6, OMXplayer, etc.) so there is low interest in adding another nvidia vendor proprietary interface (NVDEC) to Kodi. It's probably not hard to do, but someone has to do it, and even if it's done it's unlikely to be accepted into the codebase.

Ahh.

My assumption was that since it is supported by ffmpeg, provided the correct driver is in place (Nvidia binary blob?) it would just be a matter of changing the command line options passed to ffmpeg.

I'm probably horribly oversimplifying things though.

I know my way around *nix systems, but I am not a programmer or a developer.

• Official Post

Kodi needs to know how to open ffmpeg calling the correct hardware decoder (nvdec, not vdpau) and for things like DRMPRIME to work it also needs to understand an entirely different buffer management process (EGL Streams) not GBM, the standard the Linux kernel adopted. None of them are a huge leap, but "no more proprietary crap" is one of the few things the members of Team Kodi agree upon so if it happens it will almost certainly be a surprise drive-by conttribution from someone new not an existting team member.

• Kodi needs to know how to open ffmpeg calling the correct hardware decoder (nvdec, not vdpau) and for things like DRMPRIME to work it also needs to understand an entirely different buffer management process (EGL Streams) not GBM, the standard the Linux kernel adopted. None of them are a huge leap, but "no more proprietary crap" is one of the few things the members of Team Kodi agree upon so if it happens it will almost certainly be a surprise drive-by conttribution from someone new not an existting team member.

Appreciate the explanation! I knew I was oversimplifying things, but I didn't know how.