Master OS with 9.2.2 (18.6) Kodi possible?

• Hello,

I am new to building things from scratch (although I used to be a Gentoo user ages ago) and I was wondering if it would be in principle possible to git clone the master head, replace Kodi Matrix (which would be perfectly fine if it wasn't for this Python dependency error which makes it virtually impossible to install any addon on it why it's disqualified for now) with Leia from the 9.2.2 head, maybe bump some versions like graphics drivers and Mesa, download all the sources and then build like a Master OS/9.2.2 Kodi Frankenstein image from that? Is there anything that I need to be aware of in order to have a chance of succeeding? The scripts look the same to me at first glance and from my understanding they seem to refer to the package.mk which then has all the information about version etc. For example I could have the latest Ubuntu 20.04 development branch as an OS with all the latest updates but install some stone age Kodi on it if I really wanted to do so?

Ultimately my goal is to learn about building a small JEOS from scratch and create a little commit/fork from it to remove some stuff like the Retrogames parts and add an audiophile music player like Volumio (I now, this apparently doesn't seem to work but surely MPD as an external player should be realistic?) plus some Arch related tweaks like individual CFLAGS, everything more bleeding edge but also more focussed on pure media playback rather than trying to be all bells and whistles.

• Not technically impossible, but also not as straightforward as you assume as Kodi has a number of dependencies and reverting Python2 > Python3 is more than a simple package bump. I have a suspicion that once you chase down everything for that .. you're basicaally back to our LE 9.2 codebase which is Python2 based.

There is already an MPD add-on in our repo so building derivative audio players should be possible, but it gets complicated when chasing all the extra GUI package dependencies for things like Apache/Nginx. I'd like to see it done though, as all the ARM/Pi audio projects (Volumio/moOde/etc.) are using desktop distros as their base and 400MB images sounds a bit bloated when you're used to something around 120MB. I think LE would be a much better and more focussed base for them.

• replace Kodi Matrix (which would be perfectly fine if it wasn't for this Python dependency error which makes it virtually impossible to install any addon on it why it's disqualified for now) with Leia from the 9.2.2 head

I suspect that it would be much easier to make changes to a Python2 addon so it would be compatible with Kodi Matrix/Python3.

I actually did that with Keymap Editor addon which didn't work with Kodi Matrix.

• Not technically impossible, but also not as straightforward as you assume as Kodi has a number of dependencies and reverting Python2 > Python3 is more than a simple package bump. I have a suspicion that once you chase down everything for that .. you're basicaally back to our LE 9.2 codebase which is Python2 based.

Part of my current messing around has been based on using LE' master branch and the AMLGX devices and creating a build based around the last Leia build and to be honest with all the regression that needs to be done i am not sure its really worth all the effort.

I am somewhat in agreement with smp as i think it would be less work to just fix up the required plugins you want to be python3 compliant.

Being of the never quite mentality tho still has me somewhat embedded in the idea.