Intel 82579V network problem

• Hi everyone,

I have a network problem. I am using LibreELEC (Official) 9.2.0 on a PC box with Intel 82579V network interface. The box does not have any network in every first boot, but it resumes network connection after a soft reboot and it has no problems at all in the second boot. I have tried to add a value of 30 seconds to wait for the network before booting, but it still does not work.

So I start searching for a script to restart the network service during the first boot. I am not sure if I am posting in the right place.

The following is the output of existing "settings" file:

LibreELEC:~ # more .cache/connman/ethernet_00032d22e2a0_cable/settings

[ethernet_00032d22e2a0_cable]

Name=Wired

AutoConnect=true

Modified=2020-03-15T01:34:04.392593Z

IPv4.method=manual

IPv4.DHCP.LastAddress=192.168.108.57

IPv6.method=off

IPv6.privacy=disabled

IPv4.netmask_prefixlen=24

IPv4.local_address=192.168.108.20

IPv4.gateway=192.168.108.1

Nameservers=192.168.108.1;

Timeservers=0.pool.ntp.org;1.pool.ntp.org;2.pool.ntp.org;

Any ideas, please?

FE

• Code
    (
    sleep 20
    if [ ! -f /storage/boot_cold.log ]; then
      journalctl > /storage/boot_cold.log
    else
      journalctl > /storage/boot_warm.log
    fi
    )&

create /storage/.config/autostart.sh with ^ that content and then run a full cold boot and warm boot cycle to capture dmesg (without network access) 20 seconds after boot. You can then SSH in and "cat /storage/boot_cold.log | paste" and "cat /storage/boot_warm.log | paste" and share the URLs generated so we can see the logs.

It sounds like a hardware initialisation issue, i.e. the card doesn't power up right from a cold boot. The logs might show something. They also might not and even if they do there might not be anything we can do about driver probing/ordering issues. Also check for BIOS/firmware updates for the device or motherboard.

• Hi Chewitt,

Thank you for your information. I have done the script and twice startup. Here are the cold and warm boot logs.

cold log

warm log

I certainly agree with you that it is a hardware initialisation issue and that is why I was thinking about restarting the network with a script. On the top of that, I have also confirmed that it has the latest BIOS/firmware already. I did see these kind of problems on other PCs before.

Thanks again.:)

FT