Custom Edid for AVR black screen Issue

• I edited my edid file to drop 10 and 12 bit and avoid black screen issue with Intel graphic card and denon avr

see here for info:

Occasional Refresh Rate Change Problems

Original edid was created using getedid script, i edited edid file with 8 bit flag

And now what are the steps ? i suppose that i must edit also edid.cpio file and is not enough to overwrite edid.bin file in /storage/.config/firmware/edid

• i followed manual guide

Custom EDID [LibreELEC.wiki] from point

Next a cpio archive file will be created which will be loaded at boot: 

to create a new edid.cpio

but some commands give me error

at Search for “extlinux.conf” or “syslinux.cfg” and edit it. Only one of them is available.

Code
    nano -w /flash/syslinux.cfg

seems that the parameter -w doesn't exist cause it ask to check the valid parameter for nano

Edited 2 times, last by Roby77: BTW i checked edid.cpio file and seems that he included now the new edid.bin (March 9, 2020 at 4:58 PM).

• Those wiki instructions are starting to date a little... :(

Depending on how old your installation is, it may include extlinux.conf (really old OpenELEC install), syslinux.cfg (legacy BIOS) and/or also efi/syslinux.cfg (UEFI). However fairly recent LibreELEC installs (when flashed from img.gz, within last 12-24 months) should only have /flash/syslinux.cfg.

You can forget the "-w" option on nano. That option disables hard wrapping of long lines, which is now the default (since Feb 2019, LibreELEC 9.0) as we disable hard wrapping by default when building nano. Again this is a case of the wiki having to support both old and new LibreELEC users.

Edited 2 times, last by Roby77: BTW i checked edid.cpio file and seems that he included now the new edid.bin (6 hours ago).

So all good now? :)

• Ok update for community

Problem : with autoframerate switch I get black screen on start or stop of a film

Denon x2000 HDMI 1.4

Tv Panasonic vt60

HDMI cable expensive and tried other cable

Beebox Intel n3150 but I didn't remember if Chromebox had this problem

Read somewhere that the problem is an hardware bug of Denon

Solution tried:

Captured edid

Modify edid to force 8bit

Checked with dmseg that bpc was set to 8

Checked via avr that bpc is 8

Still have problem so cause is not waf compliant I set gui to 24 and leave autoframerate switch on

Probably not a good solution but is the best solution until I will change my avr

• mmh i do some reverse engineering

deleted edid via command getedid delete

without edid i verified via dmseg that bpc is always set to 8bpc (several restart with avr on or off)

Verified during black screen problem that bpc was 8 (via denon menu)

Found out that if i switch hdmi via remote tv (hdmi1>hdmi2>hdmi1) kodi gui reappear

so seems that my problem is not due to bpc bug