T9 SetTop Box (Rockwell 3328) and LibreELEC...

• Hi all,

I am new to this forum so please bear with me... :)

I have this (around 2 years old) Chinese SetTop Box: T9

Here is a link with quite a good description of it:

Sunvell T9 Android 8.1 TV Box Review | GADGETFREAK

Please note that, although "CPU-Z" thinks it is "Rockwell 3066" it is "Rockwell 3328" because all other things match (and "AIDA 64" thinks that as well).

Would it be possible to install the LibreELEC on it?

Thanks for info in advance!

Leo "Apollo11"

• Hi Apollo11,

The T9 is very similar to the H96 Max+ (RK3328). I am working on full support for future LibreELEC releases (mainline kernel).

In the meantime, checkout [Step by Step Tutorial] LibreElec on H96 Max+ *** Also IR Remote support *** and H96 Max Plus (Rockchip 3328), the instructions should work for you.

Cheers,

Ezra.

Waiting with my fingers crossed, I have a H96 Max+ with wired android 9 making hissing noise outputed to Sony reciever! Wish you all the luck. Just let me know if you need testers...

• Waiting with my fingers crossed, I have a H96 Max+ with wired android 9 making hissing noise outputed to Sony reciever! Wish you all the luck. Just let me know if you need testers...

I've tried your dtb file with with balbes150 dev images. Looks promising but bot able to boot to Kodi gui after second stage!

• Hello all !

First of all, I would like to thank all people involved, a fantastic job has been done.

I have a box bought on amazon a few years ago, called Leelbox. Actually, it is written "MXQ Pro Max" on it.

After some research, it is a Rochchip 3328 based box and it looks like very very much to the box described in the first message of this topic.

4Gb RAM, 32Gb ROM, chip Rockwell 3328

1 USB3, 1 USB2

1 hidden reset button

I will not post pictures because it is the exact same except it is written MXQ Pro Max.

So, keywords could be I guess : Leelbox rk3328, mxq pro max, T9, H96 Max+... all the same !

After a few test, what is working in my case :

official image Generic Rockchip Box    LibreELEC-RK3328.arm-9.2.4-box.img.gz

dtb from easyb

what works: boot, sound, ir control...

what misses: hw decoding is slow for some h264 videos, with white squares appearing

tuned image Libre_Elec H96_Max+ _Crossover from Digit97

what works: boot, sound, ir control...

what misses: hw decoding is slow for some h264 videos, with white squares appearing

(this image seems to have some tools inside, I didn't try them)

I went on the armbian forum, and I found a dtb called 'rk3328-t9-fast.dtb'

This one is fast indeed, however remote control trick doesn't work and there is no sound !!

But hw decoding seems to work well, no more white square neither.

So, I hope you don't mind, easyb, but I took your dtb as a start and I added what seems to be the cpu increase of t9-fast.dtb

The result is really good in my case. It is still not working as good as the android system for h264 decoding, but it is only for a few videos now.

Most of them work without issue.

Please give this dtb a try, maybe there is a way to achieve the full potential of our boxes !

Note: this dtb is only compatible with kernel 4 (current released LibreELEC, not test version nor balbes150 current images) if I am correct.

Note2: in my case the procedure with USB + Sd in the same time was not necessary. Only Sd is enough to start and enjoy a new image.

Note3: if you expand manually the STORAGE partition right after the image burnt, then LibreELEC takes only a few seconds to start at the first launch (no need to wait 7 minutes with a black screen).

Next step: find out how to convert this kernel 4 dtb into a kernel 5 one.

Once again, thank you all for the performed work!

R.

• Tried with my H96 Max+, much faster than the other dtb I've tried but no WiFi and no "Passthrough"! Thanks for keeping the work in progress.

Sorry about that. I didn't check this because I'm not using it.

On the mean time, I managed to extract the dtb from my running android. It is not usable as it is for LE, I made a comparison and it seems the dtb from easyb is already "almost" equivalent.

When I try to bring back some more code it make it unbootable :(

(I tried wifi, I tried leds...) When you modify a little something you have to pay attention to the whole branch. And I don't know exactly how the propagation works.

(by the way, if someone has some clues how to proceed with this please share!)

(also, the 'fast dtb' modification aren't inside the android dtb, I guess it is a kind of overclocking. Maybe we can bring this back to the android rom ?)

I found this post from chewitt:

LibreELEC Leia on Rock64 issues with widevine library

Meaning, we are actually already at 100% of our box capacity. The reason Netflix is not working as the android version is purely because of a license constraint. We are stuck to software decoding forever...So there is not so much to work on now.

R.