Grandia GD02B-MT Touchscreen support

• I have recently bought a nice cheap Grandia GD02B-MT case with touchscreen. The motherboard is Intel and, whilst I know that I can get it all to work with Windows, I'd rather get it to work with Libreelec.

The perfect scenario for me would be if the touchscreen in the case works (obviously in addition to, rather than instead of, the TV screen) - but if it just works to display what the case is currently doing / which menu is selected so that I can use the remote control to select music or internet radio when the TV is turned off then that will do nicely too.

My question is - are there any plugins to enable this functionality?

Thank you for any help that you can provide.

• The TV plugs in to the motherboard via the HDMI port (sound out is on HDMI too). The case screen plugs into the motherboards VGA port. The remote control and touch screen functionality is via USB to the motherboard header. The motherboard is an MSI with an AMD AM1 APU - its not hugely powerful but is quick enough and it’s frugal with the power.

I think that the minimum case scenario (working screen, without touch functionality) can be achieved if Libreelec can be persuaded to display two different screens simultaneously - Video and 10’ interface on HDMI and menu hierarchy and, perhaps, graphic equalisers / what’s currently playing information etc on VGA.

• Kodi supports output to a single screen - period. It's possble to mirror content between two connected screens, but that's all, and getting that to work when the two displays are radically different sizes will require crippling the HDMI output to the resolution of the VGA output. Add "using an AMD GPU" into the mix and even getting dual-output might be a challenge.

That's probably not the answer you were looking for .. but that's the answer :(

• That’s a pest. On the other hand though, Kodi does permit me to output to a separate display (of sorts) if that separate display is a text only VFD. So are there no plugins which leverage this functionality to display to a second monitor?

• VFD displays are simple serial devices and you can literally do "echo 'my text' > /dev/serial-device" to write content to the display in some cases. VGA output will need an app that runs under X11 to output to a second display device, which is quite a bit more complicated.

It's not impossible, but I'm not aware of any existing tools/plugins in the LE ecosystem. Our mid-term technical direction will also see us move from X11 to GBM/V4L2 running directly on the framebuffer so even if you get something working under X11 this will have a short shelf-life in LE.

IMHO dual-display would be easiest to achieve under Windows or a desktop distribution, perhaps with a web-based touch GUI.

• Thanks Chewitt. You make an excellent point - which is not to say that it's not a pity! I'll stick with LibreElec on my Zalman cased system - but it looks like I might have to use Windows on the Grandia. Blegh!