RPI3B+ to RPI4B

• hi there, i have a RPI3B+ setup as my media box, i want to upgrade the 3 to a 4,

can i just pull out the SD card fromt he 3 and put it in the 4?

if not how to i "migrate" everything from 3 to 4, WITHOUT starting from scratch?

smol guidance please <3

• To do it the lazy but more risk-prone way, you need to SSH in and run three commands:

Code
    touch /storage/.update/.nocompat
    wget http://releases.libreelec.tv/LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-9.2.0.tar
    reboot

This will disable the compat check (else we detect RPi4 is the wrong image for your RPi2(3) device and abort update) and then we download the RPi4 image and reboot. On reboot it will update to the RPi4 image. On reboot after updating it should fail to boot. You can now power off the RPi3 and move the SD card to the RPi4, which should boot. Remove any overclock/tuning etc. from config.txt before booting the RPi4 - it's not necessary.

If you want to play safe, make a backup first, then you can always clean install the RPi4 and restore the previous configuration.

• im happy to do it the safe way with some kind of backup and move,

how do i do it...

all i DONT wanna do is end up having to redo my network, config and media settings all over again.

<3

• well, the attitude from the google link was unnecessary.

i was asking for the proper way to do it to avoid issues and make sure the method was compatible with the pi 3 and 4,

no point making a backup on the 3, if the restored backup was an IMAGE or equivalent that wouldn't be workable with the 4...