Raspberry 4: no signal after some time

• I am using Libreelec 9.2 on a Raspberry 4, connected via HDMI to the amplifier.

HDMI is connected to port 0. In my config.txt I have:

Code
    hdmi_force_hotplug=1
    config_hdmi_boos=7

With that I get a signal and it looks smooth in 1920x1080@60 hz

After some time (not sure how long exactly) of inactivity (maybe also switching to other input sources) however the amplifier/TV says no signal. In this case I have to reboot the PI to make Kodi work again.

I didn't see any obvious errors in the log but I am also not sure what to look for.

Any hints?

• So I have replaced the cable but after a day I had the same issue. But I noticed that the issue doesn't seem to be the cable but that Kodi had crashed during the night and produced a crashlog.

What to do with that?

• It just crashed again:

http://ix.io/2aQf

The temperature is just fine with 41 degrees and not throttled. The pi is actively cooled.

In the stack trace I see some hints to libcec but I am not sure if that is related. The actual crash happens when Kodi tries to get something from the PVR, correct?

Somewhat off topic (apologies): is there some hardware I can get which is more stable together with libreelec? Otherwise my wife will throw it out of the window ;)

• According to that post that error message can be ignored:

Multiple lines of ERROR: Got MSGQ_ABORT or MSGO_IS_ERROR return true

I can't test without NFS as all videos are stored there, that is key. It's a Synology NAS connected via Gbit.

I already tested the pure network speed (iperf3) and the NFS speed and both are nearly up at Gbit level.

However there is something strange going on as Kodi just froze during playback with tons of those:

2020-02-05 21:55:46.733 T:2862429040 ERROR: CMMALPool::GetBuffer - failed pool:0xb2e12480 omvb:(nil) mmal:(nil) timeout:500

2020-02-05 21:55:46.733 T:2862429040 ERROR: CDecoder::FFGetBuffer Failed to allocated buffer in time

Then I needed to reboot the pi.

Wild guess: I am using pass through audio, maybe that's an issue?

• I will give it a try to disable pass-through.

After the crash Kodi reboots and I don't get the signal as normally at this time there is not output (amplifier and TV are off). Then even plug off/in doesn't make a difference, I need a complete reboot. Probably a sync issue when there is nothing listening while booting.

• The pass-through doesn't make a difference. You might be correct with the HDMI connection but isn't that normal? I mean, devices are switched off, right?

I have noticed that the crash happens nearly every day around 5am. So Kodi is asleep, wakes up for whatever reason and then crashes.

Are there any regular jobs from Kodi? I have not setup anything specific and the only add-on is the Watchdog to keep track of changes to the mounted NFS share.

• Yes, you're probably right, HDMI disconnection shouldn't do any bad.

I have noticed that the crash happens nearly every day around 5am.

That's interesting. To my knowledge, Kodi doesn't have a stand-by mode (as well as RPi itself), but CRON jobs will run occasionally. I just had a look at my /etc/cron.d folder. The only service I found is e2scrub_all, which checks all EXT file systems. Maybe that check runs daily, and crashes Kodi in case of errors. So you could check all your (network-) connected EXT devices for errors manually.

• That service runs at 3 am and it doesn't even work (/usr/sbin/e2scrub_all: line 23: !=: not found)

Unfortunately it crashed again this night, this time at a different time so my theory of some regular background process doesn't fly.

http://ix.io/2b3Z

Running out of ideas here :(

I have ordered an Odroid N2 bundled with Coreelec just as a last chance, maybe the culprit is the Raspberry 4.

• If you are running the same add-ons on LE and CE, then one of those could be the problem.

Your benefit now is to have one device for testing, and the other for "production". :)

Run a vanilla installation. If you don't have issues for a couple of days, add one add-on, and test for a couple of days again. Do this for each add-on. Hopefully you will find the add-on, which crashes the OS.