RPi4 - Powered USB2.0 hub stops being recognized

• Problem:

KODI or LibreELEC stops recognizing powered USB2.0 hub - i.e. USB hub port light go off and connected USB mouse etc stop working.

Symptoms - intermittent:

During the NOOBS OS selection menu, the mouse is available and the lights on the powered USB2.0 hub are all on - even unused ports.

When selecting to start KODI, during KODI boot the lights of the USB2.0 hub go off and on again after which the main menu screen of KODI appears.

Now, right away or after a while, the port lights on the USB2.0 hub all go off causing everything connected to that port to become unavailalble.

The USB2.0 hub port lights don't come on again until the Pi is powered off and on by taking its power away.

During all this the D-Link USB2.0 hub power indicator light remains on, just the individual port lights all go off.

This happens on both Pi4 USB 2.0 ports.

This also happened before I had the Sabrent USB audo card connected.

The D-Link USB2.0 hub has no issues on my Windows 7 PC, connected to nano receiver, external HD and other peripherals.

Please see below for hardware and software details . I still have to capture a log, but can not do so when the problem occurs as KODI starts.

* UPDATE 11 Jan: The issue persists when I remove the keyboard and portable HD from the USB2.0 hub.

Question:

What would cause KODI (or LibreELEC) to stop recognizing the powered USB2.0 hub?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
    A.

Hardware:

Raspberry Pi4 with 4 Gb and official power supply

D-Link powered USB2.0 7-port hub connected to Pi USB2.0 port using original D-Link cable.

Plugged into D-Link USB2.0 hub are:

• nano mouse receiver
    • wired keyboard
    • Sabrent external USB sound card
    • Removable portable hard disk

The second Pi4 USB2.0 port is unused

Other Pi4 connections:

• LAN, one HDMI in use - nearest to power plug, powered USB3.0 hub on one USB3.0 port (for 6 x powered external SATA drive), other USB3.0 port unused.

Software:

LibreELEC (offical) 9.2.0 (kernel: linux 4.19.83)

Build KODI 18.5 Git:Leia_pi4_18.5-Leia

Compiled 2019-11-23

NOOBS installation of KODI on 128Gb Sandisk Extreme uSD card, next to Raspbian.

I have SSH access to LibreELEC if needed.

Edited once, last by Rembrandt (January 11, 2020 at 10:14 AM).

• The mouse is not Kodi's primary source of input, a keyboard is usually much better and faster for browsing and activating Kodi's GUI.

You can also activate Kodi's debuglog by placing the loglevel tag in the advancedsettings.xml file. See the Kodi wiki for details. Restart LibreELEC after that.

All hardware should pop up in a dmesg listing, which you can get in your SSH session.

Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link