How do I use Libreelec as media server

• I run Libreelec on a chromebox. I have recently bought an Amazon Firestick that I have also installed Kodi on.

Can I use my Libreelec as a server that the Firestick reads its library from? I have managed to access the files via upnp, but not been able to scan the media to library.

How do I do this?

Ryan

• Hi, my name is also Ryan, and I too would like to know how to do this. Trying to make a media center/server out of old parts, and I'd like to store my media, then either stream it wirelessly to a TV, or access it on my primary Windows machine. I'd thought that Samba fileshare would be able to accomplish this, but so far the LibreELEC machine isn't viewable as a device in the network portion of File Explorer in Windows, so it seems this won't be as easy as I hoped. Assuming the media PC already has the software and connections it needs to work, what do I need to do to access the files on it in Windows? Obviously a rookie at filesharing over a LAN, so anything helps.

• but not been able to scan the media to library.

How do I do this?

See Create Video Library - Official Kodi Wiki

but so far the LibreELEC machine isn't viewable as a device in the network portion of File Explorer in Windows

That is correct. Microsoft's SMBv2 no longer does network browsing, because of the SMBv1's atrocious network security holes (search for 'WannaCry').

You will need to go via Kodi's "Add network location", enter full details (yes, the Windows user requires a password), and then all should work.(tm)

• @ryangodammit If I have understood correctly, depending on your system resources you could use Libreelec on the Chrome box as a media server:

1. Use out of the box drive mapping when USB media is mounted (Automatically)

1. Enable Emby plugin & configure your media libraries

2. Enable docker & install Emby - you can also use other docker images if required

Option 1 will work but is limited to how you have arranged your media and you will need to add the media locations on the firestick

Option 2 (Recommended) as a simple out of the box solution if you haven't used docker before. You can then connect to Emby via a browser / app to view your libraries, note within Kodi (Firestick) you can use the EmbyCon plugin to browse the libraries

Option 3 Docker, will use some additional system resources but has the benefit that you update the Emby version more frequently, however you will have to configure drive mappings, network settings etc

All depends on your IT knowledge.

Hope that helps.

• That is correct. Microsoft's SMBv2 no longer does network browsing, because of the SMBv1's atrocious network security holes (search for 'WannaCry').

You will need to go via Kodi's "Add network location", enter full details (yes, the Windows user requires a password), and then all should work.(tm)

Thanks for the direction, but after trying that in a lot of different ways for awhile now, I'm starting to think Ubuntu w/ Kodi might be better for what I'm trying to do here. I don't just want to share files on my primary machine with the LibreELEC one, I want to share in both directions. I even tried running an ethernet cable directly between the two, Windows just never identified the connection. I feel kind of dumb here.

• Wait! I made progress! I am stupid!

I had the Workgroup name in LibreELEC set to something other than WORKGROUP. Now I can see it in Windows under Network, but it's asking for login credentials. All the credentials I've set and give it are rejected. Not sure what's causing the problem now, but it sees the new machine at least!