Music & Radio does not play

• Where should I look to get more info about this malfunction?

I have a puzzle. I have a Raspberry Pi4 with 4GB on which I've put Kodi onto a 128gb SD card. All is well except for my music library.

Where should I look to get more info about this malfunction?

Running YouTube, Netflix, and Radio add-ons, I get good sound. But when I try to play any MP3 in /storage/music, i get nothing. When I click on the first file of a directory, its status info appears in the upper right corner, but no sound. I can see the play/pause/next controls at the bottom, but no sound. Then after 5 or 6 seconds Kodi cycles to the next file.

I thought at first that my MP3 files were corrupt, but when I connect through the network to my laptop it plays the songs great.

I catted /etc/os-release to see this:

NAME="LibreELEC"

VERSION="9.1.501"

ID="libreelec"

VERSION_ID="9.1"

PRETTY_NAME="LibreELEC (official): 9.1.501"

HOME_URL="https://libreelec.tv"

BUG_REPORT_URL="https://github.com/LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv"

BUILD_ID="572c3ad9a2f42436be757e5dda438d21b1e5ba55"

OPENELEC_ARCH="RPi4.arm"

LIBREELEC_ARCH="RPi4.arm"

LIBREELEC_BUILD="official"

LIBREELEC_PROJECT="RPi"

LIBREELEC_DEVICE="RPi4"

• Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link
  • Heisenbug!

I turned on debug logging, rebooted, and walla! I'm listening to tunes. It's a Thanksgiving holiday miracle!

...let's see if disabling debug logging & rebooting un-does the "fix"...

Huzzah! It still works. Strangely, before I asked i had cycled power several times to no effect. This time I rebooted w/o touching power.

My lesson-learned is to turn on debug logging, reboot, & replicate before pestering anyone. I'm pleased with the result, but apologize for my failure to s.c.i.e.n.c.e. this.

• Last night I was playing Kodi and noticed my music library had two sources, the songs on my sd chip AND the songs on my smb network share from which I had copied them. (After i was unhappy with my network, I added /storage/music as a source without removing the network source. Later, I turned off my smb server.) This was when I first saw my malfunction started. It "miraculously" fixed itself when I had the smb server up and running.

I believe Kodi was serving up tunes over the network, b/c when I removed the SMB source my music library became empty. (I think the debug log would have told me this directly.)

I hope this helps someone else.