RPi4. USB-ports does not turn-off power after shutdown.

• LibreElec 9.1.501 and Raspberry Pi 4B

After power-off through the main menu - Shutdown, USB-HDD continue to work. The USB continues to receive voltage.

On Raspberry Pi3B and Pi3B+ USB-disks were turned off completely, power to USB was not received.

• I noticed this the other day, but with Raspbian, not LibreELEC specifically. I'm pretty sure it's a raspberry pi 4 firmware thing that's been implemented recently, as I have a Noctua NF-A6x25 5V fan mounted over top of the heatsinks, powered through one of the USB 2.0 ports, and up until a few days ago, I could tell the Pi had completely powered down when the fan stopped spinning. Now, it just keeps spinning. That, and the network port is blinking now as well.

• Yes, this is the default behaviour in current RPi4 bootloader firmware. You can change that by editing the bootloader config settings.

On LibreELEC 9.2 Beta 2 (9.1.502) first run the following command to get the default config:

Code
    LibreELEC:~ # rpi-eeprom-config --out /tmp/config /lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/critical/pieeprom-2019-09-10.bin

Then edit the /tmp/config file and change POWER_OFF_ON_HALT to 1 and WAKE_ON_GPIO to 0.

eg run

Code
    LibreELEC:~ # nano /tmp/config

the config should then look like this:

Code
    BOOT_UART=0
    WAKE_ON_GPIO=0
    POWER_OFF_ON_HALT=1
    FREEZE_VERSION=0

Then create a bootloader firmware file with the changed config and install it

Code
    LibreELEC:~ # rpi-eeprom-config /lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/critical/pieeprom-2019-09-10.bin --config /tmp/config --out /tmp/pieeprom
    LibreELEC:~ # rpi-eeprom-update -d -f /tmp/pieeprom

Now reboot to update the bootloader eeprom.

You can check if the update was successful by running vcgencmd bootloader_version (it should report Sep 10 2019) and vcgencmd bootloader_config (it should print the config from above).

Note: you only have to do this once, subsequent bootloader updates (via the LE settings addon) will keep config in the bootloader eeprom intact.

so long,

Hias

• Hi,

After updating the bootloader firmwareI noticed the same behaviour as described by TAGER.

I followed the procedure to revert back to Sep 10 2019 firmware with these option

1. WAKE_ON_GPIO=0
    2. POWER_OFF_ON_HALT=1

Everything is now ok, but i wonder if it's safe and possible to generate a bootloader firmware with the same options using the latest firmware so it would be possible to have a full shutdown (no spinning usb drives) and benefits from the new advantages of the latest firmware ?

thanks

• Sep 10 is still the latest official firmware. If you want to use / test the beta firmware you have to download it manually from here rpi-eeprom/firmware/beta at master · raspberrypi/rpi-eeprom · GitHub

You can use rpi-eeprom-config / rpi-eeprom update as outlined above - at your own risk, as usual for beta stuff.

I've been using the beta firmwares for a while now (mainly to test network booting) and in general they worked quite well.

so long,

Hias