RPi4 3840x2160p @ 60hz

• ok so i'm running a KS8000 samsung tv. it supports 4k@60hz. Not 4096x2160p @ 60hz but 3840x2160p @ 60hz. anyway. i know it works. so that's a check.

next i've got a rpi4 4gb ram running libreelec. the 501 version. think that's an alpha or beta or whatever. it works, no issues, blah blah blah.

4096x2160p @ 30hz works just fine, but results in very juddery playback.

1920x1080p @ 30hz also very juddery.

1920x1080p @ 60hz is smooth as butter. <-- this is the setting i used on my pi2, pi3, pi3b+ etc. always worked without issue.

when using the 60hz option, i don't need to set those video options "adjust framerate" or sync playback or whatever. i prefer not to use those because in my experience video files will randomly just flicker a black screen if not encoded correctly.

ok now: 3840x2160p @ 60hz. this works smooth as butter too. no judder. this is my preferred resolution for the pi4. i feel like it is the snappiest and sharpest for the kodi interface. so here's the issue:

every now and then, and i can't pinpoint what kind of files cause this, maybe 720p files, but the resolution will glitch. and my pi4 will remain running. but the TV will just act like a source is not connected. if i unplug the pi4 for 5 minutes and plug it back in, it will work again. if i plug it back in sooner than 5 minutes, it will not. i'm not well versed enough in this stuff to know what the issue is, so i'm hoping someone could help me diagnose. it happened today while i was not home and my son was watching a show. my wife called me and asked how to fix it. a simple reset of the box woudl be OK, but that didn't seem to solve it. i was able to SSH into the box and simply comment out 4k@60hz configuration line in config.txt. i reboot through ssh and then a minute later the tv turned on and all was well. the resolution defaulted over to 4096x2160p @ 30hz, which works fine, but has the judder. so i had my wife just change the resolution to 1080p @ 60hz and that's the end of that. i can keep it there forever, but i would really like to keep it at 3840x2160p @ 60hz. i'm just afraid of having these blackout moments.

so i'm hoping you guys can assist with a solution, or troubleshooting, or something.