Posts by kramer987

i had this same issue. some days the pi4 would be ok at 4k@60 and other days i'd get no signal. i finally determined the problem was the AC adapter. make sure you are definitely using not only a proper 3amp wall wart but also an appropriate usb-C cable. remember: not all usb-C cables are created equal.

ok so i'm running a KS8000 samsung tv. it supports 4k@60hz. Not 4096x2160p @ 60hz but 3840x2160p @ 60hz. anyway. i know it works. so that's a check.

next i've got a rpi4 4gb ram running libreelec. the 501 version. think that's an alpha or beta or whatever. it works, no issues, blah blah blah.

4096x2160p @ 30hz works just fine, but results in very juddery playback.

1920x1080p @ 30hz also very juddery.

1920x1080p @ 60hz is smooth as butter. <-- this is the setting i used on my pi2, pi3, pi3b+ etc. always worked without issue.

when using the 60hz option, i don't need to set those video options "adjust framerate" or sync playback or whatever. i prefer not to use those because in my experience video files will randomly just flicker a black screen if not encoded correctly.

ok now: 3840x2160p @ 60hz. this works smooth as butter too. no judder. this is my preferred resolution for the pi4. i feel like it is the snappiest and sharpest for the kodi interface. so here's the issue:

every now and then, and i can't pinpoint what kind of files cause this, maybe 720p files, but the resolution will glitch. and my pi4 will remain running. but the TV will just act like a source is not connected. if i unplug the pi4 for 5 minutes and plug it back in, it will work again. if i plug it back in sooner than 5 minutes, it will not. i'm not well versed enough in this stuff to know what the issue is, so i'm hoping someone could help me diagnose. it happened today while i was not home and my son was watching a show. my wife called me and asked how to fix it. a simple reset of the box woudl be OK, but that didn't seem to solve it. i was able to SSH into the box and simply comment out 4k@60hz configuration line in config.txt. i reboot through ssh and then a minute later the tv turned on and all was well. the resolution defaulted over to 4096x2160p @ 30hz, which works fine, but has the judder. so i had my wife just change the resolution to 1080p @ 60hz and that's the end of that. i can keep it there forever, but i would really like to keep it at 3840x2160p @ 60hz. i'm just afraid of having these blackout moments.

so i'm hoping you guys can assist with a solution, or troubleshooting, or something.

i have a ks8000 and i figured out that my 60z 4k option is located under 3840x2160p.

before adding hdmi_enable_4kp60=1, my options were limited to 4096x2160p @ 30hz and 3840x2160p at 30hz.

after enabling hdmi_enable_4kp60=1, my options changed. the 4096x2160p @ 30hz remained, but 3840x2160p now has 27, 29, 30, 59 and 60hz.

i enabled 3840x2160p @ 60hz and all is well. pi runs hotter but who cares, only a few degrees warmer while running libreelec.

i personally have another issue. for some reason, sometimes there is a resolution glitch and the pi tv just goes black. the pi is running because i can SSH into it. if i unplug the pi for 5 minutes and plug it back in, everything is back to normal. i'll have to make my own thread.

still good?

I had the same issue creep up recently. I'm using the pi4 with a ks8000 Samsung. I installed the latest libreelec and everything was fine in 4k 30fps. my main issue was jerky playback so I've been troubleshooting that with different audio and video and frame rate adjustment settings. anyway yesterday I rebooted the pi and it was displaying in the top left corner when in 4k. changing to 1080p would resolve this. the only solution was a hard reset from the libreelec add-on options. no big deal but had to set up a few things again.

all seems fine now but I've just reverted to 1080p now. it's the only thing offering smooth playback. and it's only smooth at 60fps. dunno why. my guess is 4k at 60fps would be smooth too. I guess that's my next test. when I edited the config file tho to include 4k60, the resulting 4k option would not display on my TV. so I'm guessing my tv doesn't support that. in any event, 1080p at 60fps with the better cpu of the pi4 and gbit lan and 4gb ram is still a nice upgrade. I always play my 4k over dlna through my TV anyway, which triggers the HDR mode of the tv. the pi4 doesn't have that support yet I don't think.

I also want to try that wait for network solution you posted above. I dont have any VPN addons tho. I do run subtitles however and I know there's chatter about subtitles causing jerky playback. again, not in 1080p@60 for me. I'll have to do some more trouble shooting on that front too.