Is Coffee Lake (UHD610 and UHD630) Graphics Fully Functional

• Hey all,

I know Linux hardware support usually trails behind a little bit.

I am considering upgrading the motherboard and CPU on my main HTPC to a 9th Gen Coffee lake unit.

Should I expect this to work well with VAAPI and bitstreaming audio passthrough out of the box on current stable releases of LibreElec, or is this not quite mature yet?

Much obliged,

Matt

• That all depends on your definition of "fully".

For example, HDR is still a work-in-progress AFAIK.

Ah, fair.

I don't care much about HDR yet. All of the screens in my house are still pre-HDR sets, so I don't need that feature just yet.

As long as I can hook it up, get display output, audio passthrough and hardware decode for popular formats I'm very happy

By the time I upgrade the old Panasonic Plasma in my living room to something with HDR, maybe they wi ha e sorted the HDR side of things out.

• Why Coffee Lake? A Gemini Lake ITX board would be a more obvious choice for a HTPC.

Eww, Atom cores.

That and I don't trust anything embedded.

I want to be able to assemble everything myself.

I understand that big desktop cores may be a little bit overkill for this application, but I like building things myself, I get frustrated with integrated stuff, and this way, if I change my mind, I can re-purpose the board elsewhere in one of my other projects.

It would just be a drop in replacement, keeping the same drive, case, psu, etc. I already have. The bundle deals at Microcenter are good enough that its pretty cheap.

I'll always choose something I can build myself over something pre-built, and I'll always choose big cores over Atom cores.

That, and I bought this nice fanless all aluminum Streacom case years ago, that I just can't bring myself to stop using.

• I'll always choose something I can build myself over something pre-built, and I'll always choose big cores over Atom cores.

I got a passively cooled Asrock J5005 board with an Intel UHD 605 gpu, and I cannot say I'm lacking CPU power when Kodi is running. Perhaps because I'm not running a "heavy" skin, I just use the default Estuary skin. Or maybe I'm easily pleased. Metadata is handled by a RPI-4B running Raspbian + MariaDB which is just as speedy as on a normal x86-64 PC, and all media is on an Ubuntu NFS server. I got no speed complaints.

The Streacom cases are very nice, but just a little too pricey for my taste.