migrating from OpenELEC to LibreELEC doesn't work as described

• I found something that could be improved on your website, which I'd like to share:

I just updated my old OpenELEC installation to LibreELEC. The website (Update LibreELEC [LibreELEC.wiki]) says a bit cryptic:

just download the “Manual update from OpenELEC (.tar)” file from the bottom of our download page: LibreELEC Downloads – LibreELEC

Well, the problem starts by this section not existing anymore on that page. So I downloaded the LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-9.0.2.img.gz file, placed it in the Uploads Samba share, rebooted the computer, and... nothing happened.

I searched through the Internet until I found a hint somewhere that OpenELEC doesn't know the file extenstion .img.gz and only accepts .tar files. But where to get these? They are not available on the Downloads page!

I finally solved the problem by changing the URL from libreelec-rpi2.arm-9.0.2.img.gz to libreelec-rpi2.arm-9.0.2.tar (I'm a big genius hacker, I know ;)) and now have LibreELEC - yiiihaaa!

My suggestion is:

• to add on the Update page that OpenELEC requires the .tar file,
    • and to make the .tar files available on the new Download page,
      • or at least to link a directory file listing of releases.libreelec.tv so that people can download the desired .tar from there.

I hope you consider my proposal valuable, after all you do want to help poor OpenELEC users to migrate to LibreELEC, right? ;) Keep up the good work, thank you guys!

• tx :) I adjust the description

we are intentionally don't tell anyone about .tar files anymore because img.gz does the same for LE, OE can't handle that so nothing happens :D