RPi4 tearing, bad colors and no HDR

• Hi everyone,

I have an old Android box with LibreELEC/Kodi connected to a 4K TV. Yesterday I replaced it with an RPi4B, again with LibreELEC/Kodi (LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-9.1.001.img).

So far I discovered three issues with the new RPi:

(important: I use the RPi at the same identical HDMI port that is also used for the Android box. I did not change any of the HDMI settings on the TV)

1. There is massive screen tearing when browsing the menu. Kodi is set to 1920x1080 at 60 Hz, which is a setting that works perfectly fine on the Android box. However, on the RPi4 it results in a lot of screen tearing.
    2. Horrible colors: Compared to the Android box the color output of the RPi seems to be faded, and black is not black but some shade of dark(ish) grey. Again, both devices were operated on the same HDMI port of the TV.
    3. No HDR support.

Are these known issues? Is there going to be a fix for these? Or is my only other new component (the mini-HDMI cable) to blame for all of it?

I was really keen on replacing the Android box, because it is slowly dying (randomly freezing, rebooting, sometimes it stops producing audio output). But at the moment the RPi4 seems to be unusable with Kodi due to very poor image quality (tearing / black not being black but some dark grey instead).

• You do realise that RPi4 is still Alpha? I'm pretty sure everything you have reported is in the known issues.

I'm looking to do the same and replace an ageing Intel box with my new RPi4, but it's nowhere near ready for prime time but it's a great first now second release (.002 has just come out).