ipv6 iptables help

• Greetings all,

I hope some of the experts here can shed some light on this mystery i'm facing.

I'm running a webservice (https) on my libreelec machine through default TCP port 443. I have a dual stack ipv4/ipv6 internet connection. I have forwarded port 443 in my network firewall and all has been working flawless for both ipv4 and ipv6.

Now, since the release of LE 9 there is a basic firewall introduced. So I thought I'll have a play with it. I copied over the standard 'home' rules for both ipv4 and ipv6 and placed them in the appropriate file in (/storage/.config/iptables/rules.v4 and rules.v6).

I added one line in the rules to open up TCP port 443. Below you can see my rules.v4 file for ipv4 with the added line (--dport 443)

This works perfectly. Hower, I cannot - for the life of me - get this same line to work with ipv6.

Below you can see my rules.v6 file with the same rule I've added to open up port 443 (which is basically the same file, except saved with ip6tables instead op iptables):

This however, does not work. If I reboot the machine i can see both rules get applied correctly with iptables -L and ip6tables -L, but only on ipv4 the port is open, while on ipv6 port 443 stays closed.

When I turn off the firewall in LE settings the port suddenly opens up for both ipv4 and ipv6, so there must be something wrong with the ipv6 rules, I just can't seem to figure out what it is.

I always thought basic iptable rules or the same for both ipv4 and ipv6 :/

Can someone please be so kind and tell me where i'm failing here? :saint:

• They look exactly the same.

iptables -L output:

ip6tables -L output:

In LE settings the firewall is set to 'custom' and I'm using a static ipv6 address within the prefix provided from my ISP.

What's so strange is that when I turn off the firewall in settings the port suddenly opens for ipv6. So my guess is it has to be related to the rules.

And what's even stranger is that it actually works for ipv4. When I remove the line in rules.v4 for example the port closes as expected.

• Try adding this two rules (first one is for dhcp, second one is for icmp):

Code
    -A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 546 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
    -A INPUT -p ipv6-icmp -j ACCEPT

Or find some working script on Internet to see if your commands are missing something else.

• haha, thanks a million vpeter!!!!!

reading your post I thought you could be on to something with the icmp part. Since I noticed I couldn't ping the machine using its static ipv6 address nor on it's link-local ipv6 address with the firewall enabled. So I added the INPUT line to accept icmp packets and voila, port 443 shows up on ipv6 aswell :)

I also read this part about ipv6 using NDP instead of ARP and SLAAC both using icmp packets to work correctly on shouldiblockicmp.com:

Should I block ICMP?

I guess this is also the reason why me and corbosman couldn't get SLAAC to work with LE from within the GUI. We probably both had the firewall set to 'home' blocking icmp and therefor SLAAC did not work as it should.

ipv6 not working

I don't know if you are the guy that implemented the firewall in LE (you seem to know your network stuff), but maybe this could be added in a future release for the few people out there using ipv6. SLAAC is the most common ipv6 implementation provided by ISP's for home connections, so this could be very useful.

Thanks so much for you expertise, this was really helpful!:*

Edited 2 times, last by snixel (June 5, 2019 at 8:01 PM).

• Thx, I'll open up a ticket.

I did some more testing yesterday and found one more odd thing. When I completely disable the firewall in settings only port 443 and port 8080 (kodi web interface) show up on my local LAN for ipv6, while on ipv4 there or more services visible with the firewall disabled (port 80 for example were I run marachino as HTPC front end);

Does this mean that those applications don't have support for ipv6?