4k Quality on Rock64

• Hi,

earlier this week my TV died, so I now have a 4k, HDR capable device.

Since the first testimages and before official support I'm using a rock64 and for me its perfectly good for playing 1080p content.

In terms of advance planning the Rock64 also seemed like a good choice because of 4k and HDR support.

I know the momentarily used kernel 4.4.x is "what it is", but with progress of Lima, Panfrost and Mainline support I really hope

the support will be extended.

Thanks to the developers for quite a few entertaining evenings possible with your work.

Now that i got a 4k TV, I tried it out by playing the following 4k demo LG: New York HDR UHD 4K Demo | 4K Media.

I noticed in the 2nd scene, especially the tall brown building in the front, aliasing on the borders of the windows.

When I play the exact same file with VLC on Windows 10 it is much smoother without any staircase effect.

Now I thought maybe my settings are somehow messed up, because of alle the update migrations,

but also on a untouched 8.90.015 there is the same effect.

I added two pictures, one taken from the "untouched" LE 8.90.015 and one from VLC with my phone.

The TV and Kodi Interface is @ 4k resolution, also the TV shows 3840x2160 on the information panel.

Is 4k simply not possible at the moment?

But on the other side there are some people here who say its working for them.

Any ideas?

Edit: Okay, just did another test with both my everyday LE and the untouched:

I made a short 4k clip of this test picture and played it on both.

The upper section looks as it should (except light green hue) -> the lines on the upper left section are 1 pixel apart, but it seems like the horizontal decoding is wrong.

(very close up capture)

Because both show the same result, I think my settings do not affect this and it might be a general decoding error...

Edited 5 times, last by BKay (June 2, 2019 at 5:33 PM).

• i play 4K remuxes flawlessely, also the tv detects the HDR signal (samsung ks7000)

the only problem is with the colors, i think they are incorrect,if someone can confirm this i apreciate!

• Hello BKay

I tried the demo and I confirm that I see the same thing. I tried the same demo on my RockPi4 and again I see the same problem. Finally, I play the demo on my Minix U9-H running the last version of CE and the picture is perfect. The aliasing is evident on the last picture of the demo, the LG logo.

buximze : Personnaly, the color look perfect. I compare Rockchip with Amlogic and the color are equivalents... Maybe a little bit better on Rockchip.