2 issues with LE 7.0.2 on Generic x86_64 : black screen or xorg message

• Hi :)

I'm an old OpenELec user who was waiting for an long update when i discovered this new LibreElec project.

First : thanks a lot for your work, it's great to have an "kodi os" :)

I used OE on 3 Generic x86_64 PC and so i updated them to LibreElec 7.0.2.

I had some issues after the update i resolved myself and all is almost perfect now, and i can enjoy Kodi 16 on all my devices :) (i use a mysql shared database).

I said "almost" because i have two issues on one of my PC computer running LibreElec :

• Sometimes it boot and work fine.
    • Sometimes it boot and goes to black screen : it seems to be crashed as i can't any sounds when i use my keyboard. When it happens, i have to force my PC to shudown with the power button pressed several seconds.
    • Sometimes it boot then display the message "a start job is running for xorg server" then "Failed to start Xorg server. See 'systemctl status xorg.service' for details" : i can reboot with CTRL + ALT + SUPP then i have again these three scenarios possible.

I also ever seen this message : "Failed to start create static device nodes"

As i said, i have a mysql shared database and so a advancedsettings file, but i tried without it and i have the same issues.

I'm french and maybe i don't explain very well so i made a video where you can see the three scenarios :

Video : Issues with LibreElec

Thanks for your help.

• Well, in my opinion, there are a couple of things to know. For the record, I'm not a Kodi/LibreELEC developer, nor a technician.

- LibreELEC is not likely to update the 7.0.x build (Jarvis) series, as we are already fully engaging 7.90.x, aka Kodi 17 Krypton.
    - LE's Kodi Krypton is based on a newer Linux kernel, so support of suspend/resume can have a better/different? result on your AMD box. Try installing & testing it from a 2nd USB stick.
    - Your AMD Opteron machine is already some 10(?) years old by now. Supporting old hardware is not one of LE's main goals. This is more about Linux itself.
    - In my experience, AMD machines in general tend to have more glitches as the very latest Linux kernels are used, v4.8 is used now. Ubuntu 16.04 LTS for example runs on kernel 4.4, several Linux generations earlier.
    - Perhaps "If it's not broken, don't fix it" is applicable. Stay with the older OE version if that has a perfect fit for your machine. Don't upgrade if you just like to have a higer version number on your screen.

- LibreELEC is not likely to update the 7.0.x build (Jarvis) series, as we are already fully engaging 7.90.x, aka Kodi 17 Krypton.

Ok, i understand. I have this issue since several weeks now and i took the use to do with this issue. I reboot, and reboot, and reboot again and it works ;) . In short, i can wait Krypton ;)

- LE's Kodi Krypton is based on a newer Linux kernel, so support of suspend/resume can have a better/different? result on your AMD box. Try installing & testing it from a 2nd USB stick.

I don't use suspend/resume. Issues happens when i power on or reboot my PC.
    Yes i could try LE Krypton :)

- Your AMD Opteron machine is already some 10(?) years old by now. Supporting old hardware is not one of LE's main goals. This is more about Linux itself.

I understand but i think that one good thing with OE or LE is to give a second life to old hardware...
    I could try to rebuilt my PC with others hardware components (mother board) but i would try software solution before.

- In my experience, AMD machines in general tend to have more glitches as the very latest Linux kernels are used, v4.8 is used now. Ubuntu 16.04 LTS for example runs on kernel 4.4, several Linux generations earlier.

ok.

- Perhaps "If it's not broken, don't fix it" is applicable. Stay with the older OE version if that has a perfect fit for your machine. Don't upgrade if you just like to have a higer version number on your screen.

As i said (did i ?) i use mysql shared database and i have to use the same Kodi version on each client.
    I'm happy with news Kodi features and want to enjoy them on my others clients, so i have to update all my clients when i want update Kodi.

It was a pb with OE because updates was quite long and it seems to be a fixed pb with LE ;)

Thanks

I tried LE 7.90.005 and i had the 2 sames issues.

I gone back to LE 7.0.2 and i changed my graphic card from ati HD3650 to Nvidia 7600GS : it works ! The 2 issues are resolved :)

But..., i have a little new issue : the resolution is 1280x1024 : it works but it isn't a 16/9 resolution so i have to use calibration to make my square a square, and i have a little vertical wave which isn't present with others resolutions.

My TV Philips has a resolution of 1366x768 but it isn't listed by Kodi's settings.

I have and tried :
    1280x720p : black screen.
    1280x768 : the screen is not aligned to the left and i can't align it with kodi screen calibration.

I tried to force the 1366x768 resolution like i did on another of my Kodi LE client by adding a xconf.org file, but it did'nt worked (i juste copied code i found on the web, i don't understand excatly how to customize a xconf.org file...).

This is the return of the SSH command xrandr -d :0 -q :

Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 4096 x 4096
    DVI-I-0 disconnected primary (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    VGA-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    TV-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    DVI-I-1 connected 1280x1024+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 580mm x 320mm
    1280x1024 75.02*+
    1280x768 59.67
    1280x720 60.00
    1152x648 75.00
    1024x768 75.03 70.07 60.00
    1024x576 85.01
    800x600 75.00 72.19 60.32 56.25
    800x450 84.99
    640x480 75.00 72.81 59.94
    640x360 84.99

Can you help me to force the 16/9 resolution 1366x768 ?

Edited once, last by nonobio (September 26, 2016 at 5:48 PM).