[SOLVED] Raspberry Pi 3 wifi slow, use external Wifi?

• A few days ago I started playing with Libreelec on a Raspberry Pi 3, which connected to my network using the built-in wifi to stream files from my WD MyCloud. Even-though the RPi is only 8 meters away from the router (Asus AC3200) videos, and even music, would often stutter. While rsync-ing some videos to the Pi over SSH I noticed that the speed was extremely slow (less than 300kb/s). Using the iw-tools on libreelec I saw varying connection speeds for the wifi ranging from over 40Mbps to only 5.5Mbps. This made me conclude that the built-in wifi can't give me a stable enough wifi-connection for stable streaming, probably due to the small antenna. Have other people experienced similar bad network performance with the built-in wifi?

I still had a wifi extender (Linksys RE2000) lying around, so I added that to my network and connected the Pi to one of it's ethernet ports. This has given me very smooth streaming so far.

Since i'd prefer not to use the wifi extender I'm thinking about buying a wifi USB dongle, such as 300Mbps / 5 GHz Dual Band USB WiFi Adapter with 2: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics, but I'm wondering how Libreelec handles two available wifi cards? Can you choose which network card to use? Would it use the one it sees first (probably the built-in one)? Or would I have to disable the built-in one by blacklisting the kernel modules or something?

Update: I bought the mentioned wifi-usb dongle and it works like a charm.

Edited once, last by teranex (October 1, 2016 at 11:57 AM).