How to enable kernel logging

• Hello,

I'm running libreelec on a headless server with kodi disabled and with just tvheadend enabled. It turns out that the driver for the tuner card sometimes crashes. In the tvheadend forum I was told that I should inspect the kernel log file (typically located at /var/log/kern.log). However this file does not exist in my installation. How can this be enabled?

Thanks,

Bernd

• Official Post

Kodi has an own log system, which is different to standard Linux.

The kodi.log is the replacement for kern.log, and it's located (when is logging activated) at /storage/.kodi/temp.

There are different log levels. Log level 1 should fit your needs.

Activate logging at level 1 by creating the file /storage/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml with this content:

Code
    <advancedsettings>
        <loglevel>1</loglevel>
    </advancedsettings>
  • Kodi has an own log system, which is different to standard Linux.

The kodi.log is the replacement for kern.log, and it's located (when is logging activated) at /storage/.kodi/temp.

There are different log levels. Log level 1 should fit your needs.

Activate logging at level 1 by creating the file /storage/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml with this content:

Code
    <advancedsettings>
        <loglevel>1</loglevel>
    </advancedsettings>

Since (as I have written above) Kodi is not running at all, this log file is not available. Also I'm not sure if kodi.log contains what I need.Can you confirm that kodi.log would contain messages from the kernel about tuner card drivers?

• Official Post

Since (as I have written above) Kodi is not running at all, this log file is not available. Also I'm not sure if kodi.log contains what I need.Can you confirm that kodi.log would contain messages from the kernel about tuner card drivers?

If you just need an add-on of Kodi, then you'll see the errors, warnings etc. generated by that add-on. You can run LE non-headless for testing, if no kodi.log appears headless - I'm not sure about it.