9.0.1 SSH, SMB and NFS not working

• Hi All,

I have a fresh install of 9.0.1 created using the LibreElec tool on Ubuntu and running on Raspberry Pi 1. During the startup wizard I have enabled both SSH and SMB and reset the SSH password to something else. As the Pi starts up, if I continually try to connect to it via SSH (from Ubuntu CLI) it will eventually connect ok. I enter my password and can intereact with the Pi (e.g. continually enter ls) for around 10 seconds. Roughly just after the splash screen appears my connection terminates with

Code
    packet_write_wait: Connection to X.X.X.X port 22: Broken pipe

After this point I can no longer connect via SSH. Some further points to note

1. I can't see any errors in the logs

2. In order to see the logs I have had to mount the SD card in another PC - I have seen threads on file permissions of the .cache/ssh directory and contents so have put them correctly before unmounting the card and restarting in the Pi

3. neither SMB or NTFS seem to be working either. Trying to add file sources for NTFS the Pi is non-responsive for around 5 second and then returns to the portocol selection screen. SMB gives "Error 2: share not available".

4. Have checked that STORAGE partition is ext4 (boot partition is fat32)

5. I have installed the services plugin to try and get a command line on the Pi but when opening it it says it is a console only addon and asks me whether I want to open a terminal. I respond with "yes" and it sits there for a bit and does nothing

6. tried adding ssh to the "boot = " line

7. I have seen some posts about adding "tty" to the boot parameters (so I can at least go to a console on the Pi) but can not find the files they refer to to do this. Tried adding it to the "boot=" line but no joy

8. Saw a post about installing the network tools so have done that too.

9. I reverted back to 8,2,5 and still no SSH.

10. Tried switching SSH off in the settings waiting for a few minutes and switching back on.

I am now at a loss as I can't get on to the Pi to further troubleshoot. Given I'm sure lots of people have got this working I assume this is something simple but fundamental

Any ideas?

Thanks

Lee.

EDIT - have attached kodi.log

• You can use "textmode" to prevent Kodi from starting and access a local on-screen console to poke around. Check the Ethernet port is full-duplex and share the URL generated by "dmesg | paste" so we can see the boot log (Kodi log isn't useful).

• Thanks very much for your reply. This is the URL from dmesg | paste

http://ix.io/1h3e

At line 27.xxxx it seems to indicate it is full duplex

ps -A shows that /usr/sbin/sshd -D is running as root but trying to ssh from laptop still fails.

I have tried ssh from Pi to laptop and it connect OK, does the key exchange, asks for my password then hangs (ctrl c also not responding). Reboot (ctrl alt del) then retrying it and it sometimes works for a few sec then crashes and sometimes crashes after the password

Edited once, last by leenowell (April 24, 2019 at 8:39 AM).

• I noticed that /storage/.cache/ssh had perms of 755 and read somewhere it should be 700 so I changed it to 700 rebooted and it changed it back. Contents of ssh dir are ok (*.pub 644 everything else 600).

Changed perms to 700 tried to ssh to Pi same issues. Restarted the sshd (systemctl restart sshd) and perms stayed at 700 but still no joy

EDIT tried running sshd manually to a log file and logging at DEBUG3 (max I believe). "tail -f log" It says it is listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22 but when I try to ssh from the laptop, nothing gets written to the log.

ssh from the pi back to itself (ssh root@<pi ip>) I get "ssh_exchange_identification: read: Connectionreset by peer" and in the log I get

debug3: fd 6 is not O_NONBLOCK

debug1: Forked child 359.

debug3: send_rexec_state: entering fd = 9 config len 264

debug3: ssh_msg_send: type 0

debug3: send_rexec_state: done

debug3: oom_adjust_restore

debug1: Set /proc/self/oom_score_adj to 0

debug1: rexec start in 6 out 6 newsock 6 pipe 8 sock 9

Edited 2 times, last by leenowell (April 24, 2019 at 9:10 AM).