Strange SMB question...

• Hi, I have had my video files on my Windows 7 computer for years. I connected via SMB (smb://) with no issues. However, when I upgraded to a Synology NAS to save power, I can connect via SMB. But, when I restart my Kodi device, it will not see my shares for about 10 mins. Any idea? I am willing to troubleshoot. :)

This same problem exists on 8.2.5 and the new 9.0 trying fresh installs. The problem does not happen with my zeroconfig. But I am curious as to what is causing the SAMBA issue only with regards to my NAS. Is it a setting on my Libreelec or a setting in my NAS?

I just tried to share a video file on another Windows 7 machine and my Kodi sees the files immediately after a Kodi reboot.

Wired Ethernet connection on my PI 3B.

Edited 4 times, last by jthomas5150 (February 11, 2019 at 1:08 AM).

• It sounds like the HTPC was the browse master and when you reboot it an election is forced and it takes time for the remaining systems to figure out who is now in charge .. and until that happens name resolution is impacted. As the NAS should be always-on you can "Enable Local Master Browser" in Synology SMB settings (advanced tab) and future elections should be avoided (unless you restart the NAS). You might need to "turn it all off and on again" after the change before things settle. ZeroConf doesn't have the same stupid process :)

• Hi thanks for the reply. My NAS is already set to as the master browser and is so according to my LANscan. Any other ideas? I don't think it is an election issue, as my other computers can see my NAS even when I restart my Kodi box...

Edited once, last by jthomas5150 (February 11, 2019 at 4:55 AM).

• Hi I thought I would wait about a week until I asked again if anyone had a chance to look into this. If I need to upload the log a different way please let me know. New to this forum. Very curious on this issue.

• Sorry for the late reply have been out of town. Yes I am sure I am putting in the correct user/pass when prompted. I even created a new user on my Synology box just to make sure it was not a permission issue. Same problem. It will not play any videos until several mins after a reboot. Still, Zeroconf works just fine. Any other information I can give you to help? Very stumped on why the user/password doesn't want to take until after a period of time. Once again, when I do a share via my Windows computer, I don't have this issue. Only when the files are pointed to my Synology box. I have not played with any of the SAMBA settings on my Synology box btw...

Synology DS218+

Would it help if I provided a log with the issue and wait the 10 mins or so when it starts working? Will that help in your troubleshooting? The one provided earlier, I did not wait until it started working to create...

Thanks again for your help. :)

Edited 3 times, last by jthomas5150 (February 26, 2019 at 1:24 AM).

• are you connecting with a Valid SMB level?

SMB1 is turned off by default in Linux, as well as Windows, my NAS does not support SMB2 so have to set minimum SMB level to SMB1, or switch to NFS if you dont need security

• Yes, I have tried the default levels and tried turning min and max to smb1. Same issue. Only "benefit" I gain when using smb1 is my ability to browse samba network. :)

I just looked in my file service settings on my nas and min is smb1 and max is smb2.

Edited 3 times, last by jthomas5150 (February 26, 2019 at 3:00 AM).