Playback issue with 3D ISOs

• Hi all,

I know that this is a well discussed topic already - and not only in this forum.
    Already tried a lot solutions from the net with no luck so far.
    First of all, please note my hardware setup (not sure if it matters, so just in case):

Source: INTEL NUC Kit NUC5PPYH Pentium N3700 (connected to my NAS) running LE 7.0.2 with automatic updates ON
    AVR: Yamaha RX-A740
    Projector: Darbee + WHDMI @ Epson EH-TW9200W
    Content: untouched 3D BD ISO (MVC encoded content over frame-packed output method)

Currently I am using the PS3 for all my 3D Blurays but I dont like it this way. I would like to use Kodi for all my BDs so I tried again to get my MVC ISOs running.
    My research today made clear that there are people out there currently actively enjoying this fantastic feature which seems to came in with Jarvis.
    However, I tried several settings as well as renaming methods (MVC, SBS etc.). Kodi does see it as 3D when I put SBS into the filename, BUT...

My projector is not. Kodi itself is stating that 3D stereoscopic mode is ON and the menu itself goes SBS as well... but the movie stays 2D somehow.
    It doesnt even get blurry or something. If I try to make my Epson go 3D it tells me there is no 3D content...

I tried the same on my Windows PC running Windows 10 with Kodi 16.1, Intel Core i7-6700K and EVGA GTX1080 SC - same result!
    While in playback Kodi enables the 3D mode (same as movie) so the playback menu goes SBS and the movie itself remains 2D.

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers,

Edited once, last by Neunzehn (August 31, 2016 at 6:27 PM).

• Hi Grimson! Thanks for the quick response. Good point, I just created the same case in their forums: Playback issue with 3D ISOs

Well with "finding an answer" I meant to use the forum search because I doubt that you're the first one that has problems with 3D content, actually I'm pretty sure there was rather big thread about this on the Kodi forums a few weeks back.

Btw. Side By Side and frame packed content are two entirely different things.

Edited once, last by Grimson (August 31, 2016 at 7:00 PM).

• Ah, I see. Well, I was searching quite long, but maybe in the wrong directions, Ill try again, thanks...
    However, I thought that frame-packing is the transfer method over HDMI for all 3D relatet contents, including HSBS, HOU and MVC.

• However, I thought that frame-packing is the transfer method over HDMI for all 3D relatet contents, including HSBS, HOU and MVC.

In short:

No. Frame packing outputs at twice the frame rate of the actual video material, which allows it to deliver full resolution frames for left and right, but requires more storage space and HDMI bandwith.

Side by Side and Over Under runs at the same frame rate as the source material, and has the frames for left and right cramed into a single image. Halving the resolution of the actual frames for left and right, but requiring less storage space and HDMI bandwith.

Edited once, last by Grimson (August 31, 2016 at 7:19 PM).

• Thanks for the short explanation, got my upvote :) but in that case I am even more confused why Kodi does apply HSBS to MVC content...
    HSBS and HOU would be a lot less quality than MVC - and yes, on 120" you will see a quite enormous difference :(

• Thanks for the short explanation, got my upvote but in that case I am even more confused why Kodi does apply HSBS to MVC content...
    HSBS and HOU would be a lot less quality than MVC - and yes, on 120" you will see a quite enormous difference

Well if you tag the filename as SBS Kodi treats it as SBS, if the filename is correctly tagged but Kodi still sends it as SBS it could be that you didn't enable frame packing in System -> Video-Hardware, or that your AVR(if HDMI goes through it)/Projector simply don't support it (or fail to report to Kodi that they do support it).

Also I seem to remember that frame packing isn't supported on all platforms/hardware, so again search the Kodi forums.

Edited once, last by Grimson (August 31, 2016 at 7:47 PM).

• I could not find that tab Video-Hardware, or is it LibreElec related? Was just checking on my Windows right now, will check later on the projector.
    My hardware should support all that, especially as I am playin 3D BDs without any issues from my PS3.
    Will keep you posted if I find something in the Kodi forums...

• Nope, that didnt help as well. I tried several more things, but no luck. Today I got an answer on the Kodi forum - looks like its not part of the official LibreElec / Kodi Development:

MVC content is only supported under the Windows branch of Krypton v17 from the other thread you already found, it's nothing official. MVC has nothing to do with SBS, TAB, frame packed. Jarvis and the regular Krypton beta can't play MVC content at all.