WIFI tethering not working on Wetek HUB

• Hello, I have a Wetek HUB device connected via Ethernet to my router, and had the wifi "tethering" feature working fine back when I was using the original Android system provided by the manufacturer. Yesterday I have installed LibreELEC 8.2.5 on it and this feature won't work. I turned it on and set SSID/Password, but it never appears as an available connection from other devices. I've seen other issues on this forum about this problem, but I concluded it should already be fixed on this LibreELEC version I'm on, or that I would have an incompatible device which is not the case as it used to work on Android. So sorry if I miss something from other threads.

• The wireless drivers used in the 3.14 kernel codebase for WH and WP2 do not support being software switched into AP mode. It's possible to force the card into AP mode at boot time by setting some driver options (which I have long-forgotten) but when tested a few years ago the card doesn't perform that well in AP mode. So the conclusion is .. the tethered hotspot feature is not supported on WH.

• Thanks for your reply.

Wow thats too bad...I really miss this AP feature :(

You think that maybe this situation will change on next LibreELEC versions or can you please give me hints on how to pass the driver options for me to test it?

• I see your point, but you're not considering the additional device, power and ethernet cables mess. It also used to work good enough for me on the signal quality aspect if that's what you mean comparing it to a "real" AP.

Is there a network device compatibility list for LibreELEC somewhere?

• I genuinely forget what "echo somevalue > /proc/sys/something" hack is needed to force AP mode. I do remember that it never worked right and in the 3-4 years since I last tested nothing has changed in the Amlogic legacy kernel that would improve it. On that basis your options are limited to using a proper router or getting a USB external wifi stick (which is also a bit of a gamble due to the old kernel involved). If you value an easy life .. use a router.