A new device to install LibreELEC on? Confused...

• Hi,

Apologies if this isn't the correct forum to post this question, i'm new here and the other forums seem to be meant to other things.

I enjoy Kodi on LibreELEC very much (big kudos for all involved, you guys are doing an amazing job). Until now i've been using the Cubox i2 connected to my TV, but it's starting to break down, so it's time for me to buy a new one. I'm trying to decide what's the best for me, and thought about the Nvidia shield, however the following entry in the blog post about the future of Kodi confused me:

"LibreELEC 10.0 will remove support for Xorg/X11 windowing on x86_64 hardware and move the entire distro to a common DRM/GBM video framework. This change will also impact nVidia users as Kodi v19 removes support for VDPAU (it doesn’t support many new graphics features and is no longer developed) and there are currently no signs of nVidia supporting GBM like all other GPU/SoC vendors. Between now and LibreELEC 10.0 the team will be working to achieve GBM/DRMPRIME feature parity so nobody notices the switch"

Does it mean that if i buy the Nvidia now, it will not work with LibreELEC 10 i.e. no Kodi? I intend to keep using Kodi for a long time, and i would like to buy a device that will continue to support it in the future, so if not Nvidia can maybe someone recommend which device can fit? (my requirement are basic - I don't do much with it but install LibreELEC and plug it to a TV to use with Kodi).

Thanks in advance for any help of guidance,

• I did indeed get confused :)

Out of the LibreELEC supported streamers, aside from RPI, what is the most recommended in terms of future LibreELEC support alongside easy installation or operation?

Thanks,

• Seeing the worldwide sales and overall support of the various Raspberry Pi devices, they'll be around quite a bit longer than today.

In terms of PC hardware, all new(er) Intel should okay. AMD Ryzen still has it hiccups and challenges in Linux. Be aware of hardware requirements if you also want to do Netflix (via Windows or otherwise).

As an unwritten rule, try not to spend more than 150-200 euro each time you want new HTPC hardware (unless you have deep pockets). Technology comes and goes fast.