CLI / Anything similar to macOS "smbutil" in LE? Tried "smbstatus" (Ubuntu forum) - no luck. [Kinda Off-Topic / trying to use LE to solve mostly non-LE SMB issue]

• Hi,

TL;DR? See subject line - may be all I need. / If you read below and have any additional insight....I would be super grateful.

If this should be in support, mods feel free to move - I wasn't sure...

LE CLI command via SSH may help me figure out what the heck my 2nd video device is doing (re: SMB version) after new SMB update, but I don't know the LE command and I'm not having luck trying commands from searches / other distro forums:

LE 8.95.2 on Intel NUC, under LibreELEC Settings ---> Connections, I can see 2nd device (Nvidia Shield TV / Android 8.0) but the info is limited to interface, state, IP - the basics.

After Nvidia finally released an update a couple of days ago with support for SMBv3, I checked SMB connections, and at least I can tell it no longer requires SMBv1. (See 3 & 4 below)

On macOS, I can't test this - I can no longer browse or do anything with the Shield. (Aware of SMBv2 browsing limitation, don't know if that's entirely the issue.)

1) macOS ---/---> Shield (fail)

[after Nvidia's "SMBv3" update]

2) macOS -------> LE (success)

["smbutil" indicates SMB v3.02 connection to LE.]

3) LE (min 2 max 3) ---------> Shield (success)

4) LE (min 3 max 3) ----/----> Shield (fail)

5) Shield ---------> LE (success)

I just want to find out what the Shield is allowing since LE connects to it, but macOS doesn't. (And get macOS connected againNo SMB settings anywhere in the Shield settings, after digging through menus 20 times. I'm guessing, as has been noted with others before, that Nvidia may have thrown in their own "flavor" of SMB just like macOS and some Linux distros.

If you got this far, thank you...

Alex

• I should also mention that I manually added a previously non-existing file - /etc/nsmb.conf - in macOS to also say min 2 / max 3

Code
    #nsmb.conf
    [default]
    protocol_vers_map=6

Apple updated the man docs for a number of items in Mojave, and they are no longer using this style:

Code
    smb_neg=smb3_only

From man doc:

protocol_vers_map Bitmap of SMB Versions that are enabled

"Bitmap of SMB Versions that are enabled" can be one of:

7 == 0111

SMB 1/2/3 should be enabled

6 == 0110

SMB 2/3 should be enabled

4 == 0100

SMB 3 should be enabled

• LE to Shield arrows backwards above. Oops. I was making the Shield -----> LE connection without an issue.

So I thought it was just macOS failing to connect...until I tried Windows 10 Pro (which has SMB1 module disabled by default now), and it wouldn't connect either.

So I'm playing around with a 3rd party file explorer app on the Shield (X-Plore) and I find a tiny note (SMB1). So Android, as an OS, couldn't tell me that it was failing to allow inbound SMB 2/3 connections. It had to be a 3rd party app. That thing has been nothing but a networking nightmare for 2 years now. Until LibreELEC 9 Alpha, it was the only device I owned that could spit out Atmos/DTS:X. One of the Linux kernel updates Milhouse did along the way finally allowed proper audio.

Still unclear as to whether the Shield update not allowing incoming SMB2/3 connections is intentional.

BTW, it would still be nice to have a command to display detailed information on LE's current SMB connections.

Thx

• LOL. Don’t think I even knew what I was saying, but I tried. I spent 6 hours troubleshooting the Nvidia Shield’s recent SMB update. Just wanted the right command for LE CLI to list current SMB connections with more detail than the GUI.

I didn’t know it, but checking that wouldn’t have helped anyway. Turns out Nvidia released a “partial” update - SMB2/3 (outgoing connections only) - for their Android TV 8.0 implementation.

I could finally connect (outgoing only) to LE via SMB 2/3.

I just wanted to connect to the Shield from a computer for small file transfers via SMB 2/3 also.

I didn’t even consider for a second that Nvidia would be stupid enough to release a single-direction (outgoing) SMB update in 2019. Idiots.

• Yeah, now that you say that, it makes sense - I came across a comment on the same thread that finally cleared it up where someone mentioned that the factory-integrated Plex server software handles the incoming SMB connections.

Still sucks. I just disabled the incoming SMB connection feature. I’ll turn it on when I need to use it. This way nothing on my network is vulnerable to any security risks that SMB1 is vulnerable to.