Libreelec 8.2.3.1 (kszaq's build) won't load in MyGica ATV 495X with firmware 7.1.2 (Amlogic S905x 1GB RAM)

• Hi all,

Happy new year.

I am trying to load Libreelec 8.2.3.1 precisely as per the following threads:

[8.2.3.1] LibreELEC 8.2 for S905/S905X

[HOWTO + FAQ] Install community builds on S905/S905D/S905W/S905X/S912 device

However, I do not have success until now, although I have tried 3 different USB Utilities (Rufus, Etcher, Win32DiskImager), 2 different SD cards and USB Sticks and all 10 device trees (either 1g or 2g). I even tried a device tree as supplied by MyGica in their 7.1.2 firmware. No success either.

Where I end up, is the Android recovery utility, asking me if I want to reboot, update from EXT, etc...

I understand that the Android recovery utility comes after the bootloader, hence my USB/SD card is not able to "cheat" the bootloader and kick in LibreElec.

I have tried the following 2 boot methods in order to try to boot to libreelec: 1) MINIX U1 / U9 (Hold power button and plug power cord) and 2) Terminal Emulator (reboot update). Toothpick method is not applicable as there is no reset button on the device. I would stick to method number 1 (Minix U1) as this was the one that allowed me update/rebrand the firmware and that MyGica recommends when flashing/updating their firmware.

Something that may be useful for whoever could help with this project, is that MyGica's firmware extract folder includes the following files:

- dtb.img

- factory_update_param.aml (this has 2 commands to wipe data/cache and specify the .img for updating)

- factory_update_param.ubt

- Readme.txt (instructions for updating)

- recovery.img

- u-boot.bin

- u-boot.bin.sd.bin

- update_MyGica_ATV495X_wv_7.1_20171221_V1.0.img

- version.ver

When I try to load libreelec as per the instructions, I can see the following files in the USB/SD card:

- aml_autoscript

- dtb.img

- kernel.img

- kernel.img.md5

- s905_autoscript

- SYSTEM

- SYSTEM.md5

Question 1 : Shouldn't LibreElec's USB/SD structure follow MyGica's firmware extract structure (i.e. have the same series of files) ?

Question 2: Should I have root privileges in order to load LibreElec via USB/SD Card or is this completely irrelevant? I understand that MyGica ATV 495X with 7.1.2 firmware does not permit root privileges.

Question 3: Is there something else that I have not considered?

I am sure there are people out there with the knowledge in order to assist me with this.

Many thanks in advance