Intel NUC with Onboard CEC - Is Pulse Eight CEC Adapter Needed?

• I have an 8th gen Intel NUC NUC8I7BEH - it has onboard CEC controlled by the BIOS.

Will the Pulse Eight CEC adapter for the NUC give me more functionality or what's the deal?

If there is more functionality, is there a list of what differs?

Intel NUC HDMI-CEC Adapter - Pulse-Eight - Ultra HD Distribution and Control Products

Thank you

Answers in post #3

Edited once, last by mrc00l88 (December 29, 2018 at 8:37 PM).

• On my nuc7i5BNH i use this a usb hdmi cec adapter from pulse eight and it works great.

But it's not capable of to turn my nuc on through CEC.

What your're refering to from their prodcut site,

"This adapter will allow your TV to turn the NUC on from S5 (cold boot) and S3 (suspend), additionally turning the NUC on can wake the TV from its standby."

So i think think what you're ferering to is better then what i'm using.

A couple of days ago i ordered one that you refering to.

When i received my order i'll let you know.

Cheers

• Marciano looks like your NUC has Onboard CEC like my version HDMI CEC Information for Intel® NUC

If you haven't turned the Onboard CEC off in BIOS, it can cause issues with the Pulse Eight adapter you're using (its either one or the other from what I've read). From the Intel technical specs, Note 5:

r105dx.png

You should be able to turn on/off the NUC and TV (given the TV is CEC supported) without the adapter - just by using the BIOS settings in the NUC - the Intel link has the info on the BIOS settings.

Legacy Device Configuration

However, the Onboard NUC CEC only supports on/off functions.. the Pulse Eight adapter will offer more CEC functionality.. per Pulse Eight support: Our adapter provides full bi-directional control, such as arrow keys, numbers, channel up/down, etc

I haven't received my NUC yet, still being shipped, also ordered the NUC Pulse Eight adapter, let me know how you make out - if you get yours in before I do :)

Cheers

Edited 2 times, last by mrc00l88 (December 29, 2018 at 4:58 PM).

• Thank you i ill double check my bios later i can't remeber if cec is enabled or disabled.

If disabled and enabled it and can turn my nuc on then i don't need my order anymore:D

• Thank you i ill double check my bios later i can't remeber if cec is enabled or disabled.

If disabled and enabled it and can turn my nuc on then i don't need my order anymore:D

Should be disabled in the NUC's BIOS, for the adapter you already have to work properly. Let me know how it goes!

Out of curiosity, what TV and remote are you using with the CEC? Are you able to navigate LibreELEC/Kodi with your TV remote?

I'm trying to determine if an HDMI-CEC remote or an IR remote is the way to go.. I want to be able to power on/off the NUC and TV (with the same button) and be able to navigate LibreELEC/Kodi - with the same remote.

Edited 3 times, last by mrc00l88 (December 29, 2018 at 8:41 PM).