External idx/sub subtitles show as white boxes

• External IDX/SUB subtitles show up as white boxes instead of the bitmap text images they normally do.

Tested versions: LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.2.5.img.gz

I've since upgraded to the beta channel but no change.

Distribution: LibreELEC (official)

Version: 8.95.001

Architecture: Generic.x86_64

Kodi: 18.0-RC3

Hardware

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 550 @ 3.20GHz

GPU: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ironlake

OpenGL vendor: Intel Open Source Technology Center

OpenGL version: 2.1 Mesa 18.3.1

Total memory: 7740MB

I have the same version of Kodi (Kodi v18 "Leia" RC 3) running on a Windows 10 installation (same PC), but the Windows + Kodi install displays idx/sub subtitles perfectly fine, suggesting it may be a LibreELEC problem.

Tested movie/folder (see line 433 @ kodi.log attached):

Code
    東京ゴッドファーザーズ (2003)/
    ├── clearart.png
    ├── disc.png
    ├── fanart.jpg
    ├── logo.png
    ├── poster.jpg
    ├── tokyo.godfathers.2003.dvd-ja.idx
    ├── tokyo.godfathers.2003.dvd-ja.sub
    ├── tokyo.godfathers.2003.dvd.mp4
    └── tokyo.godfathers.2003.dvd.nfo

Let me know if you need more logs or sample files to help narrow this down.

I found this thread to a similar problem on CoreELEC's forum while searching this issue (I'm not sure how relevant it is to LibreELEC, but I'll include it just incase).

Subtitles (idx/sub) not working/showing when in separate files - Kodi - CoreELEC Forums

• I've been updating all the 9.0 betas and finally until 9.1 release, but the white block idx/sub subtitle problem still persists.

I decided to downgrade to LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.2.5.img.gz (same PC as before) and IDX/SUB subtitles show up normally(!) with no white background.

Not quite sure what to make of this as I had 8.2.5 installed before, but now on a clean install it seems to work.

Attached is a screenshot from 8.2.5 (same movie as before) with normal rendered idx/sub subtitles plus all the log files Kodi produced for this installation.

Hope this info helps.

• Code
    20:46:48.066 T:140353191193920   ERROR: CShader::InsertSource - failed to open file gl_tonemap.glsl

Maybe the fix for Kodi issue #15723 can help you too.

Nice find! It certainly seems like the same issue as the same gl_tonemap.glsl errors are mentioned in that Github issue.

Would it be safe to say this is an upstream issue that will eventually get merged and integrated into LibreELEC at some point? If so, I guess we can close the issue here on the forum.

• The Kodi fix is merged in the meantime and will be part of the next LibreELEC release.

You can test today if curious, the fix is already part of the latest Milhouse Test Builds.

Create a 9.0.1 installation stick, boot from it and type run at the boot prompt to enable persistent live mode. Follow the "Installing" paragraph in first post of the thread to install the test build.

Your current installation is not altered by the test.