vdr 2.4.0 + dvbapi, works on x86, it doesn't work in libreelec (amlogic)

  • Hello,


    I'm using libreelec 8.2.5 using this image on a mecool ki pro. The idea was to replace an old and bulky vdr box.

    I tried the vdr addon that comes in the repository (2.2.0), but it doesn't work with dvbapi, the problem is exactly like this one (see also this dvbapi bug report).

    Tvheadend works but

    • it has problem tuning to some muxes (femon reports a stable lock)
    • I prefer vdr because of a specific plugin I'm going to need.

    I thought that maybe the problem was because of the old vdr version, so I managed to build vdr-2.4.0 (taking the recipes from libreelec master), but it still doesn't work :(.


    Now, according to the bug report I mentioned before, this is a problem with vdr, but the funny thing is that on the pc, with the same vdr version (2.4.0) and the dvbapi plugin (same git checkout) everything works fine :/.

    Another fun fact; the dvbapi plugin on x86 dynamically links to libdvbcsa, on aarch64 it doesn't (same Makefile :/), though it doesn't complain about any missing symbol at startup, so I suppose it links libdvbcsa statically?

  • olivluca

    Changed the title of the thread from “vdr 2.4.0 + dvapi, works on x86, it doesn't work in libreelec (amlogic)” to “vdr 2.4.0 + dvbapi, works on x86, it doesn't work in libreelec (amlogic)”.
  • I don't know if is there a LE9 image available for my box, however, as I said, the version of vdr and its plugins (including dvbapi) is from the master branch (though I reckon that master uses a newer toolchain).

  • The dvbapi plugin can either use libdvbcsa or FFDecsa, but the latter is x86/x64 only, so under arm it has to use libdvbcsa. In any case, under x86, I compiled the plugin with libdvbcsa, to avoid any difference in behaviuor.

    I find it strange that with the libreelec build system ldd doesn't show a dependency on libdvbcsa.

    Oh, I had to patch its Makefile to unconditionally use it (just passing LIBDVBCSA=1 wasn't enough: it was still trying to compile FFDecsa).

    Another strange thing is that I had to modify the PKG_SHA256 of many, but not all, vdr plugins from master, as well as several other modification to the patches and/or package.mk, but maybe that's because of the older toolchain in 8.2.x (which could also be the cause of the plugin failing, it's not the first time that a different gcc produces non working code).

  • olivluca Concerning devices amlogic s905



    I think the problem is that it uses an old kernel 3.14 but pc uses new kernel 4.1xx


    We await the release of the main kernel 4.xx for amlogic and see

  • I find it difficult to believe, besides even the upcoming LE9 is still using 3.14 for amlogic.

    I could believe a different compiler generating not so good code, the vdr/dvbapi plugin behaving badly on arm or anything else, but not the kernel. Alas, I've been wrong before.

    Is there anybody successfully using vdr+dvbapi on arm?

  • You could test an mainline build if it behaves similar. Not all playback features are supported yet but that won't matter for vdr.

  • hi CvH

    i tested vdr 2.4.x 109 in LibreELEC-WeTek_Play_2.arm-8.90.008


    vdr.dvbapi Unstable with oscam cccam .

    Works some time out 10min Then the channel breaks off and returns


    Sometimes it takes time 20 min


    my log

    Files

    • log.txt

      (40.72 kB, downloaded 110 times, last: )

    Edited once, last by belaid38 ().

  • i tested vdr 2.4.x 109 in LibreELEC-WeTek_Play_2.arm-8.90.008


    vdr.dvbapi Unstable with oscam cccam .

    Works some time out 10min Then the channel breaks off and returns


    My build or one from the libreelec repository?

    Anyway, it seems the combo could work.

    Maybe the dvb drivers for my box aren't good? (but then even tvheadend should fail on the same muxes :/)

  • Definitely there's a problem with either the dvb driver or tvheadend/vdr: I rebooted in android and the supplied dtv app can tune to muxes that with libreelec are impossible to tune :(

    It doesn't explain the problem with the muxes that works under both systems though.

  • The K1 drivers/tuner is FAR away from a "good" tuner - it works but expect problems.

    You could try CoreELEC - they have an different driver maybe that part is fixed by "coincidence".

  • Yeah, I read before buying that it isn't the best tuner, but android manages to use it with muxes that linux cannot :(

    The problem is, I don't want to use android with this box ;)