Narrowcasting in museum

• Hi, being a total n00b in the area of TV boxes, I wonder if such Box could be used for narrowcasting in our museum.

Having used Linux I think that:

- LibreElec can autostart Kodi after booting

- LibreElec can use local and networked storage

Right?

For our use we need a piece of remote control hardware.

As I read it is possible to use a phone or tablet.

However, we need that to be locked down, such that visitors cannot tamper with either the remote control or the box.

Any help or advice?

Thx, /Arie

• I'm not sure what you really mean by narrowcasting .. but LE boots directly into Kodi, and using a simple autostart.py script you can start a playlist on Kodi startup. For stability and performance use an Ethernet and don't be tempted with wireless. Kodi can be controlled over CEC on most TV's (using the TV remote) and you can deliberately disable IR support (if the box has an IR sensor) to prevent visitors trying to control the boxes. We added an SSH console keyboard in the last couple of days (will be available in the next alpha).

Hope that helps.

• I'm not sure what you really mean by narrowcasting .. but LE boots directly into Kodi, and using a simple autostart.py script you can start a playlist on Kodi startup. For stability and performance use an Ethernet and don't be tempted with wireless. Kodi can be controlled over CEC on most TV's (using the TV remote) and you can deliberately disable IR support (if the box has an IR sensor) to prevent visitors trying to control the boxes. We added an SSH console keyboard in the last couple of days (will be available in the next alpha).

Hope that helps.

Narrowcasting =~ showing specific targetted media.

We do not want a playlist, but selection out of a limited list by remote control.

Autostart is fine :)

Intention would be a fairly small local storage device being fed via wireless when content changes.

For the remote control we'd like to use a tabletlike thing, where visitors can touch buttons to choose what they'd like to see.

I guess that would be the least simple thing to do?

• I'd create a webpage that sends JSON-RPC commands to play specific media (from the local filestore) on a specific device. Kodi has a full API for that kind of thing - it's how the Android/iOS remote apps and WebGUI(s) are implemented. You can place media in a central location and use cron + rsync to run a nightly sync job to update local media.