AML compared to Intel?

• I'd like know if it's worth swapping 2 RPi3's (not 3+) to Intel based devices.

a. Intel Apollo Lake N4200 (4GB RAM), Intel HD Graphics 505

b. Intel Apollo Lake J3455 (4GB RAM), Intel HD Graphics 500

N4200 is slightly more expensive and has larger SSD (64GB) compared to J3455 (32GB).

How are these devices compared to AML devices (905/912) that are approx half the price?

• There is also the J4005 and j5005 nucs that are cheap and current generation.

S905/S912 vs intel is feature wise similar but speed wise the Intel's are much faster.

Doesn't matter at playback of course. But kodi menu and skins.

• Well, I have opportinity to buy these two types mentioned above quite cheaply, a good bit below retail price...

Please correct me if I'm totally wrong but both these two 'Mini PC's' should be capable to play HEVC (H.256) and maybe even HW decode 4k movies?

• They play HEVC till 4k 60Hz 10bit so you can play whatever you want (no HDR output).

Idk how cheap you would get the J3455, just adding that the Intel Nuc with J4005 is around 115€ and with J5005 150€ (just missing an SSD + RAM).

• Thank CvH , in this case I think I'll go for N4200 Mini PC's.

I can buy 2 for around 90€/each with 4GB + 64GB but without PS.

Used ~1 week at exhibition overseas (that's the reason for missing PS).

• Thank CvH , in this case I think I'll go for N4200 Mini PC's.

I can buy 2 for around 90€/each with 4GB + 64GB but without PS.

Used ~1 week at exhibition overseas (that's the reason for missing PS).

I use an ASRock > J3455-ITX as my secondary "full-size" HTPC and I would suggest to avoid the Apollo Lake platform. If it comes to features and speed they are quite good but the way Intel supllies the video signal is utterly crap because they need a LSPcon to convert a DP signal to HDMI. This chip is troublesome. AFAIK this is resolved in the successor generation so I would get a J5005 nuc regardless of a cheap priced J3455/jN4200.

• Hmmmm, thanks for the input 5schatten !

Maybe I just buy one and add 4GB and to use for Windows then as they are licensed with Win10Home ...

Well I tried Windows 10 or let's say I had to try it because I had to update the LSPCon firmware what's only possible in Windows 10 and they worked..."okayish"

Actually it runs LE9 too but for example I'm not able to switch from the STB to the HTPC even with a custom edid and after I applied the latest builds there is no sound output after a clean boot until you change the audio device once. I'm not sure if it's kernel or Kodi beta related but as I said this sucks especially if you compare it to my main HTPC a i3-6100 B150 chipset based system that's runs without flaws and is the same generation of hardware.

• TY for info/input again 5schatten !

I bought one N4200, and got it with 8GB RAM at same price (and apparently it's equipped with 120GB SSD as well) just to play with.

PS on it's way as well...

It's branded "VOYO VMac Mini PC Intel Apollo N4200"

Let's see what this box is capable of ... :/

• A week later...

Well, surprisingly I have had no issues this far, everything I use seems to work OK.

Installation was quick, I copied in my stored, pre-configured xml-files (advancedsettings, sources and passwords) and 5 mins later I was ready to play! :cool:

From my point of view and with my environment at home, everything works very well and performance wise nothing to complain!

• A week later...

Well, surprisingly I have had no issues this far, everything I use seems to work OK.

Installation was quick, I copied in my stored, pre-configured xml-files (advancedsettings, sources and passwords) and 5 mins later I was ready to play! :cool:

From my point of view and with my environment at home, everything works very well and performance wise nothing to complain!

I guess they deliver the boards with updated firmware nowadays so most quirks are ironed out ^^ Is this your main device? So when you switch on the TV it's input is set to the htpc?

• I guess they deliver the boards with updated firmware nowadays so most quirks are ironed out ^^ Is this your main device? So when you switch on the TV it's input is set to the htpc?

At the moment yes, it's the main HTPC.

The TV (LG WebOS) is auto configured as "Intel, Integrated cfx, PC general", nothing changed manually.

• At the moment yes, it's the main HTPC.

The TV (LG WebOS) is auto configured as "Intel, Integrated cfx, PC general", nothing changed manually.

Well then it's probably less trouble ;) I'm curious how this device runs side by side with other devices like a STB or FireTV ^^