cache variable ac_cv_target contains a newline

• It builds for others so I assume it must be something with your system. But I have no clue what.

And from what I saw you don't build official LE but some fork.

• It builds for others so I assume it must be something with your system. But I have no clue what.

And from what I saw you don't build official LE but some fork.

How you know that works for others? Even yourself, only have last build from some time ago when tested..

You have not confirmed with make image test with your self with current stable build what uses binutils 2.27

No fork used. If you assume for S905 project then be known that this project was copied over from other fork to official build. Logs given to you are from official 8.x series and issue happens with official build.

So no fork.

PS! I am looking response from someone who understands binutils and is interested to test out himself as well.

Thank you

• Do you see described same problem on forum? I don't so I assume it is fine with everybody except you.

I can't build S905 project because there is no such project with official LE.

Using official LE with some copied stuff from some fork is not official build anymore. Who knows what you did :)

So, if you expect help describe exactly what you are doing so someone else (like me) can repeat the steps exactly the same way.

In the mean time open configure script and add some echo's inside where error is written to see what ac_cv_target variable contains. Because now it is not clear what it contains (with new line).

• I got project compiled with kszaq fork 8.2-devel-20181020223044

binutils-2.27 as well.

i think that newline error with libreelec build comes from fact for some reason it parses ARCH variable with newline.

that's only idea.

for me issue solved but i would like to build with libreelec official build as well.

• Then just build it ;( But if you add stuff from somewhere else don't cry if some thing get broken.

kszaq: Can you comment why he has a problem?

you clearly ignore bug description at message start thread! problem is not with kszaq but with official 8.x build. don't matter what project i use, binutils fails with newline error

• And I told you it must be something with your system! But no one understands why it happens only to you.

Can you pack whole binutils folder and put it somewhere to look into?

• And I told you it must be something with your system! But no one understands why it happens only to you.

Can you pack whole binutils folder and put it somewhere to look into?

same binutils version works with kszaq 8.2-devel-20181020223044 libreelec

this bug needs different approach

Edited once, last by ivaat (October 22, 2018 at 4:09 PM).

• I'm not sure you will still read this or care, but I ran into a similar issue with configure in a different build I ran (unrelated to LibreELEC), but it turns out that the leading dash (or minus) in the host triplet passed to config.sub was the issue.

Check to make sure that the host triplet (passed to configure using --host=... is the proper one ... and it shouldn't really start with a dash).

Now I don't know how it ended up there for you, in my case it was a mistake on my part when I manipulated a script using another script.

The problem is likely caused because the leading dash ends up confusing some command being called during the run of one of the configure (and related) scripts. Likely it's being deemed a command line switch ...

Hope this helps someone down the road.