S905x + USB DVBS2 tuner VS KI pro amlogic s905D

• Hi all

I have a s905x box working with usb DVB S2 ( DVBSKY S960) link and tvheadend

everything is stable enough but I am looking for more responsive libreelec interface especially big channel list

My question is does using S905D box with built in tuner improves the overall interface speed? for example the channel list and transition speed? I read that passing the dvb stream through the usb cases some load on the processor but I cannot make sure of this information

Also do you think that external tuner is more sensitive to weak signals than the internal one?

I hope someone can help me with the answers

Thanks

WkWo5Gn

• S905D and S905X are the same chip except for S905D supporting an external PHY (so boxes can have GB ethernet, not that all do) and the interface for internal tuner devices. The difference between SDIO and USB tuners will be negligible. More significant, especially for how weak signals are handled, will be the drivers. I cannot provide a validated answer (and i'm not sure there is one) but as a rule the not-in-kernel drivers for SDIO chipsets used in Android boxes are worse than the more widely used mostly-in-kernel USB drivers.

I wouldn't spend money on a cross-grade at this point. If you want to do an upgrade, it's time for a NUC and/or a network SAT>IP device with multiple tuners (so pre-selection is possible) and no impact on the local system.