SMB v1 obsolete, then what?

• Hi guys. Sorry if this is just another junk thread, but I have been googling in order to find an answer. I found some information, but I do not really know what to do

Today, I wanted to start fresh with a new installation, so I took the latest release (8.2.5) from the site using the usb creator SW. Installation went through smoothly, as always. But when I started to add media, I couldn't find my SMB shares. Well, off to Google, where I found something about that SMB v1 is obsolete.

Since I didn't even know that there are more versions, I have no clue what my "server" uses, it runs windows 7.

Anyway, what should I do? Enabling SMB v1 in LE sounds like a temporarily solution (though this didn't work for me). Do I need to disable SMB v1 on my windows machine, serving as media server?

Thanks in advance!

• Official Post

Windows7 already supports SMB2 - you need to create an password secured share (user/pw) then it should work. Guest shares without password is an SMB1 only "feature".

And you need to add the share manually, you can't search for shares anymore (also a SMB1 only feature).

• Windows7 already supports SMB2 - you need to create an password secured share (user/pw) then it should work. Guest shares without password is an SMB1 only "feature".

And you need to add the share manually, you can't search for shares anymore (also a SMB1 only feature).

Thank you for your quick reply, CvH.
    Then it is quite obvious that I have used SMB1, as I do not use password on my shares.

I will have a go with your suggestion. I am a bit relieved that I don't need to anything else with my server. Adding user and password is just fine.

Thanks