Cannot adjust volume on analog sound output

• Hi,

I am running LibreELEC on my raspberrypi.

I have a TV connected via HDMI and audio output set to output on BOTH analog output (3.5mm jack) and HDMI.

The output on HDMI works fine and audio is going to the TV. However, the volume on the analog output is extremely low. So low that I thought the output simply did not work. But if I turn up the volume to max on my physical amp, I can barely hear the signal - but it IS there.

Adjusting the volume inside LibreELEC/Kodi using my volume buttons on the keyboard does nothing to the volume on the analog output. But it works just fine for adjusting volume on HDMI output. Please note that it is NOT my TV volume I adjust here. It IS inside LibreELEC/Kodi. I can also adjust my TV speaker volume independently.

For audio output in LibreELEC I have also tried setting it to analog only, but that does nothing to the volume. Only mutes the HDMI.

I have tried enabling SSH and then connect to the pi and then I tried starting the following programs:

alsamixer (not present)

aumix (not present)

amixer: present but failed with the following error:

Code
    amixer: Control default open error: No such file or directory

How do I fix this?

One fix would be to somehow set the volume to 100 % on the analog audio output. Because then I can just adjust the actual volume on my physical amp.

I hope you can help.

Thanks.

• Nothing?

No one has tried using analog output in LE?

Please, if you have used analog output and it IS working for you, I would also love to hear from you. Just to know if it is working AT ALL. Maybe it is not really implemented?

• Official Post

Nothing?

No one has tried using analog output in LE?

Please, if you have used analog output and it IS working for you, I would also love to hear from you. Just to know if it is working AT ALL. Maybe it is not really implemented?

It works fine here (jack to amplifier).

Are you sure about the cable, the volume of the receiving end?

• It works fine here (jack to amplifier).

Are you sure about the cable, the volume of the receiving end?

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I am certain that the cable works. I have indeed changed the cable just to make sure. However, that did not make any difference. And I have verified that the cable works by attaching another audio source. E.g. a laptop and an iphone. Both works just fine.

Do you also use a raspberrypi? If so, can I ask which model?

If you are able to enable SSH connectivity to your LE machine, will you try and connect via SSH and type "amixer" in the terminal and paste the output? For me it fails. I would be very interested in seeing if it also fails at your end. If it does, this is likely not the source of the problem. If it does NOT fail or if it fails with some other error, then that is a known difference and maybe related to the source of the problem.

• Ignore alsa mixer. Kodi doesn't use alsa for audio (it uses openmax).

Volume on analogue does work, so it's possible you have custom settings that are affecting it. A debug log may be useful.

But to start with I'd suggest using the "reset settings to default" option in the system/audio settings page, and just change the output device to analogue.

If that doesn't work then renaming /storage/.kodi to /storage/.kodi_back and restarting kodi will start from completely clean settings.

You can then set audio output to analogue and see if it's any different. If not you can rename back to .kodi to get back to your original settings.

• Ignore alsa mixer. Kodi doesn't use alsa for audio (it uses openmax).

Volume on analogue does work, so it's possible you have custom settings that are affecting it. A debug log may be useful.

But to start with I'd suggest using the "reset settings to default" option in the system/audio settings page, and just change the output device to analogue.

If that doesn't work then renaming /storage/.kodi to /storage/.kodi_back and restarting kodi will start from completely clean settings.

You can then set audio output to analogue and see if it's any different. If not you can rename back to .kodi to get back to your original settings.

Sure, alsamixer does not work. But what about amixer? Shouldnt that work?

Will try resetting audio settings to default.

I have already tried just setting output to analog. Does not make a difference. Then I just have no sound (or extremely low)

• What is passthrough and how do i check if it is enabled?

System → Audio → Scroll down until you see the "Audio passthrough" section. Enable or disable as needed, check if this works. You might want to switch the settings to "expert" mode.

• Sure, alsamixer does not work. But what about amixer? Shouldnt that work?

amixer: "allows command-line control of the mixer for the ALSA soundcard driver"

It won't affect kodi which doesn't use ALSA for hdmi or analogue audio.

• amixer: "allows command-line control of the mixer for the ALSA soundcard driver"

It won't affect kodi which doesn't use ALSA for hdmi or analogue audio.

OK. That makes sense.

So are there any other CLI tools to adjust volume in LE/kodi?