[SOLVED] smb:// urls don't work all of a sudden

• Hello all,

My kodi box cannot access the remote files anymore.

I am at a loss with this issue, having spent hours on it, and not understanding what is happening.

I have an intel NUC with LibreELEC (official): 8.2.5 (Generic.x86_64)

My samba shares run on a windows 10 machine and my hub/router is a linksys 1200AC running LEDE.

The kodi db is running on the same window computer, and the data are correctly accessed.

My sources are specified by computer name.

When I try to read a movie, the connection is refused.

when I nslookup my host (HWFR) on the LE machine, the Ip is correctly resolved and I can ping the windows machine by name and by IP. I can ssh into it as well. So I do not think it can be name resolution or routing problem.

I can open the shares from the same network with other windows machines with the same credentials.

I tryied to add a source to kodi by IP, and it fails as well. I would be very reluctant to change my sources from name to IP, as they are recorded in the database.

When I try the following command from any linux machine on the network, it also fails. I am not confident with this command.

mount -v -t cifs //hwfr/video/cine ./cifs -o username=kodi,password=****

mount: mounting //hwfr/video/cine on ./cifs failed: Connection refused

I attach my full kodi log since rebootkodi.log

One of my main problems are that I do not kown how to debug on the windows side. Is it an authentication problem, is the connection dropped somewhere, ...?

I listened to the traffic on the wire, and I can see that packets for 139 and 445 ports arrive on the windows interface.

The firewall and the AV are disabled on the windows machine.

Help!

Guy

• This is just a wild guess. When I lose connections to my Windows 10 shares, I do this:

In Windows, go to:

Control Panel

Network and Internet

Network and Sharing Center

Change Advanced Sharing Settings

expand "all networks" tab

Turn on "media streaming "

I found out that large Windows updates will cause this last option to toggle off for some strange reason.

Edited 2 times, last by blueribb (April 28, 2018 at 2:24 PM).

• Hello and thank you,

But it does not solve the problem :(

I agree with you on this point, it is a problem with my windows settings.

I succeeded to connect from LE to another windows smb server...

• Hello,

I reset the windows 10 network to defaults.

* Control Panel

* Network and Internet

* Network and Sharing Center

* status

* Reset network

And everything is now OK (except that I will have some other services to be reinstalled/reset like vpn, etc.)

I cant figure out what happened. It may have to do with a vpn client I tested.

Sorry, this was not a Libreelec issue.

Thanks,

Guy

Edited once, last by guymarc (April 30, 2018 at 2:29 PM).

• Every windows update resets "advanced sharing options" to defaults. Every update makes my home network unusable, until I go change it back.

Windows is getting more like Linux with the security Nazi stuff. I just absolutely do not need or want those levels of security