MPEG-2 files, optimal playing

• I current have an S812 box and an S905X box. The latter is running LibreElec 8.90.3.

I have a lot of sports games that are MPEG-2 files extracted from DVDs. In the past, I have considered options such as Handbraking the files into h264 files but this loses a tiny level of quality and in a few years time, both MPEG-2 and h264 will be legacy codecs in any event. Hence I have retained all my original MPEG-2 files.

What I am seeking is the approach to playing the MPEG-2 files. I have tried hardware acceleration, which works well, although I find the picture slightly grainy and jerky (emphasis on the slightly). I suspect this primarily has to do with deinterlacing.

Hence at present I am finding the best quality playing of MPEG-2 files occurs with these settings:

- Software decoding

- Yadif half deinterlace

- Bilinear scaling

So my question is... what do you find is the best way to play MPEG-2 content.

I am posting this issue in this forum as (and forgive me if I have this wrong) LibreElec has the AMLogic hardware decoding component (with only a few forks to do so). I am wondering therefore if there could be some deinterlace options made available that mimic the sort of software options?

Edited once, last by bhwsyd (February 5, 2018 at 1:42 AM).